Re: Still design

  • linw992003
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3 2:19 PM
      > I am in the process of designing and building my first still and have
      > come across a reflux still design at
      > http://www.thickos.co.uk/brewgod.html
      > which sounds perfect. and it sounds relatively easy to use. Basically
      > it sounds like you heat the mash and control the reflux via the flow
      > of water through tube soldered to the reflux tower.

      If you do some more reading I think you will conclude that the
      aforementioned design is far from optimum. Most "good" forced reflux
      designs only have reflux cooling at the top of the column (find
      relevant discussions by Mike Nixon and McCaw and others). Indeed, most
      columns are insulated to keep them hot rather than force cold water
      around them. The reason for the top to bottom cooling is to allow for
      a high wattage heater system. Most distillers who are after high
      purity restrict the power input to remove the need to cool the column
      as this design does.

      My personal advice would be to keep looking! It is difficult for
      someone else to pick what design you should go for but you do need to
      evaluate designs which use vapour and liquid management as well as
      better cooling management designs. Indeed, the thread you have replied
      to is a good start!

      Good luck and happy distilling.
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3 9:29 PM
        Hi Dean, sounds like you have been doing some reading on the subject. This
        along with your skills as a fridgie should see you well on the way to making
        a good product. Until I had actually done some distilling I found it hard to
        understand how the process worked. The guidance that others gave me a few
        years ago was the difference between frustration and a steep learning curve.

        A few questions if I may; what type of material do you propose to use to
        build the still? What are you going to use as a boiler? Do you want to make
        a clear spirit and add shop bought essences or do you wish to make grain
        wash's and make whiskey rum etc.? Or a still that you can do both on. Is
        this going to be a no/little cost unit or are you willing to spend some
        money on parts. These questions will allow us to better guide you on the
        way. Dean I would have to second "linw992003's" message and say that there
        are better designs out there than the one you pointed to in the link.

        These newsgroups have been going for a number of years and people have
        developed some great designs, which produce fine results every time they use
        their still with the minium of fuss. Look to the designs of Nixon, Stone,
        Mc'Caw, Tony Ackland, Bokokob, and others. Look through the files and photos
        section of the yahoo newsgroups and you will see all sorts of creations.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4 1:33 AM
          Hi Robert, at the moment ive been able to aquire the parts i need reasonably
          cheap much of it because of my line of work. so far i have a boiler and a
          lid and two choices of column diameters either 2 1/8inch or1 7/8 inch copper
          pipe. So far ive only spent $11 au.
          Im planing on useing a 50 litre keg for my boiler a stainless steel mixing
          bowl for the lid and the rest will be copper.
          I realise 50 litres is pretty big Ill probably only half fill it, and if a
          smaller alternative becomes available change to that.
          At first im planning on makin clear spirit and flavouring it. keeping things
          simple to start with, but eventually id like to start playing around with
          grains, ageing with Oakchips and maybe even barrels.
          Oak barrels can be bought in Australia in sizes ranging down to 5 litres.
          I dont want to spend to much money to start with hence the original reason
          for making my own still. Ive already sussed out the store bought products
          availabe and believe that i can atleast match them in qaulity ( with some
          practice) and as my enthusiasm grows so does my desire to design (read copy)
          and build my own contraption.

          thanks for your input

          Dean.
          > Hi Dean, sounds like you have been doing some reading on the subject. This
          > along with your skills as a fridgie should see you well on the way to
          making
          > a good product. Until I had actually done some distilling I found it hard
          > understand how the process worked. The guidance that others gave me a few
          > years ago was the difference between frustration and a steep learning
          curve.

          > A few questions if I may; what type of material do you propose to use to
          > build the still? What are you going to use as a boiler? Do you want to
          make
          > a clear spirit and add shop bought essences or do you wish to make grain
          > wash's and make whiskey rum etc.? Or a still that you can do both on. Is
          > this going to be a no/little cost unit or are you willing to spend some
          > money on parts. These questions will allow us to better guide you on the
          > way. Dean I would have to second "linw992003's" message and say that there
          > are better designs out there than the one you pointed to in the link.
          >

          > These newsgroups have been going for a number of years and people have
          > developed some great designs, which produce fine results every time they
          use
          > their still with the minium of fuss. Look to the designs of Nixon, Stone,
          > Mc'Caw, Tony Ackland, Bokokob, and others. Look through the files and
          photos
          > section of the yahoo newsgroups and you will see all sorts of creations.
          >

          > Yours in Spirit
          >

          > Robert
          >

          > _____

        • rodmacd2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4 9:18 AM
            I agree 100% with linw992003. Any still design with so-called reflux
            cooling tubes running through the bottom or middle of the column is a
            bad one done by someone who doesn't understand the principles of a
            fractional distillation tower.

            I urge you to carefully read any or all of the following books all
            available online in pdf form for about US $10.

            "The Carriage Still" by John Stone at www.gin-vodka.com

            "Making Pure Corn Whiskey" by Ian Smiley at www.home-distilling.com

            "The Compleat Distiller" by Nixon & McCaw at www.amphora-society.com

            If you don't want to even spend $10 then read through Tony Ackland's
            terrific WEB site at homedistiller.org paying particular attention to
            Tony's personal experience and recommendations.

            A little time and very little money invested now before you begin
            construction will save you a lot of grief later IMHO.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5 3:38 AM
              Hi Dean, stick with the 2 1/8" pipe and the 50 litre keg. Never hurts to
              have too much head room in the boiler. Something to consider when building
              the still is how you plan to heat it. If electricity then try Lawrence and
              Hansen etc for a hot water heater replacement element. Fit castor wheels to
              the bottom of the keg, your back will thank you. You should build in a
              failsafe device in case of pressure build up. Never design the still with
              cooling tubes running through the tower, they are there for operators that
              use way too much heat. A design with the condenser above the collection
              point is best. This way you have direct control over the amount of reflux
              that is happening.

              The more heat you put into the boiler the greater the vapour velocity up the
              tower and the greater the condenser has to work. For a 2" tower you can get
              away with 2400 watts of energy, the downside is the amount of water it takes
              to cool the vapour at the top of the tower. I run 1800 watts and find this
              gives me better purity but the trade off is longer heating and running time.
              Some use a big element and use a triac or similar to reduce the wattage once
              the wash is boiling. One thing you are realising by now is that there is a
              lot of science that goes into designing a good still.

              Yours in spirit

              Robert

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5 5:08 AM