Re: Use of old pressure cooker

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
      Do not scrub aluminium! - the oxide is a natural protection - remove
      it and you will get more pitting from acids.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "muskegshine" <muskegshine@y...>
      wrote:
      > They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
      > undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
      > still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
      > years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
      > process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
      > recolection of memories.
      >
      > It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's
      > bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
      > recomend for cleaning.
      >
      > Des
      >

      > > It will be good for sure. My 48L pot is in
      > > aluminium and I make a very very good vodka with it.
      > > Aluminium is cheaper than stainless and conduct heat
      > > rapidly.
      > >
      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Although, this was the same kind of
      > > unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I
      > > be OK????
      > > =====
      > >
      > > Really? how did they got caught?
      > >
      > > Use it with no doubts,
      > >
      > > Maxime Belair

      > > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      > > magasinage.yahoo.ca
    • Toni Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
        Personally I would avoid aluminum. That pitting that you see is caused
        by slightly acidic foods eating away at the metal and that is how we end
        up with aluminum which is a heavy metal that our bodies can't break down
        in our system. It builds up over time and causes many different problems
        of which it is said that it is a leading contributor of Alzheimer's
        among many other things as well when you throw others into the mix as
        well.

        Toni Smith
        MSN Messenger tonimarie29@...
        Yahoo Messenger tonimarie29au
        ICQ Messenger 166838134

        It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
        bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
        recomend for cleaning.

        Des
      • Carter Cathey
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
          The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been established.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter Cathey"
            <cartercathey@c...> wrote:
            > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
            established.

            That's not entirely true. There is mounting evidence that the human
            body will use aluminum in place of the correct metals (magnesium
            etc.) when manufacturing essential metabolic enzymes. Aluminum is a
            common food additive also, which explains how we get so much into
            our systems.

            Here's a few excerpts from an interview with prominent researcher
            Harold Foster Ph.D. of the University of Victoria, Canada...

            Foster: Aluminum has been known to be a neurotoxin for over 100
            years. It has been shown in Norway, England and Wales and Canada
            that people who drink water that is high in dissolved aluminum are
            most likely to get Alzheimer's disease.

            In addition, aluminum is being used to make cans and cookware and is
            included in a wide range of foods and cosmetics. Exposure to
            aluminum is universal, but how much is absorbed and crosses the
            blood-brain barrier and how much is excreted depends on the intake,
            not just of this metal, but also of magnesium, calcium, silicon,
            phosphorus and zinc.

            On reaching the brains of individuals who are deficient in these
            minerals, aluminum replaces calcium, magnesium, zinc or phosphorus
            in at least 10 enzymes. As a result, these all malfunction,
            eventually causing the development of senile plaques,
            neurofibrillary tangles and granulovascular degeneration that are
            the hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease. In short, aluminum causes
            Alzheimer's in individuals who are overexposed to it while deficient
            in the minerals needed to make various enzymes.

            AlzheimerSupport: How does the replacement of magnesium by aluminum
            contribute to Alzheimer's?

            Foster: The evidence suggests that if there is a deficiency of a
            necessary bulk or trace element, the body will "make do" with a
            chemically similar element when trying to manufacture an enzyme. Of
            course, like using the wrong ingredient in a stew, all sorts of
            problems result from this substitution.

            AlzheimerSupport: What changes would you ideally like to see happen
            to reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease?

            Foster: I believe that the following should be banned: * the use of
            aluminum sulfate by water treatment plants. * the addition of maltol
            to beer, hot chocolate and commercially baked goods. * the use of
            aluminum in cosmetics and cans * aluminum foil * aluminum containing
            deodorants

            The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
            calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
            for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
            calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.

            Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?

            Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
            chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
            goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
            compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
            aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
            example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
            about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
            maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

            (full interview here...)
            http://www.alzheimersupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?ID=1496

          • Kim Walker
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
              I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
              remember........ [;-)))

              Carter Cathey wrote:

              > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
              > established.

            • Sven Pfitt
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                As long as I can remember, we always used SS. Mostly Revere Copper
                bottom pots and pans.

                I don't drink soda in cans. And, I make my own beer.

                So if I get alzheimers, what do I blame it on?

                Sven

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kim Walker <kimwalk@u...> wrote:
                > I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                > remember........ [;-)))
                >
                > Carter Cathey wrote:
                >
                > > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                > > established.

                ...snip...
              • Scott Petrinec
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                  People have cooked and drank from aluminum for many years. Even if you do not ever drink from aluminum cans, or cook in aluminum pots....I don't think an occasional bottle of shine that came from an aluminum pressure cooker will be any worse for you than shine that you made from a Stainless Steel stockpot. Unless you drink about 5 gallons of it a day.
                  As far as the pitting, use some muscle and scrub the heck out of it. To prevent it from pitting again....do not use any kind of salts in it (when cooking with it, or cleaning it) .

                  I used a pressure cooker for years, as my grandfather did also.

                  Carter Cathey wrote:

                  > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                  > established.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Carter Cathey
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                    I suppose, then, that is a matter of what research you prefer... I did a
                    google search for aluminum and alzheimers and found a lifetime of reading.
                    They all seem to say either:

                    1) aluminum has no impact
                    -or-
                    2) there are some correlations, but no difinitive research has proved a
                    link

                    There is no hard scince behind this claim. Maybe someday, but not today.
                    That is all I was saying.

                    Here is a few of the things I found...

                    There has been a good deal of "discussion" as to whether or not the
                    use of aluminum in brewing contributes to Alzheimer's disease. Thanks
                    to Oliver Weatherbee for providing to following:

                    Aluminum has NOT been linked to Alzheimer's disease. The following is
                    taken from "Frequently Asked Questions About Neurological Problems" at
                    The Department of Neurological Surgery of The Cleveland Clinic
                    Foundation (http://www.neus.ccf.org/patients/faq.html): (This doesn't
                    work anymore, but www.ccf.org will get you there)

                    "There is little support for the theory that aluminum causes
                    Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United
                    States. The exact cause of this disease is unknown, although the risk
                    of Alzheimer's is higher when there is a family history of this
                    disease.

                    [two paragraphs removed]

                    Workers exposed to high levels of aluminum in industrial environments
                    have no increased incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Furthermore,
                    careful studies to date have not shown an increased aluminum
                    concentration in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients.

                    Since there is no convincing evidence linking aluminum toxicity with
                    Alzheimer's disease, you need not worry about exposure to aluminum in
                    cooking utensils."

                    Furthermore, Brewing Techniques (Jan/Feb '95) had an article on a
                    parallel brew experiment using an aluminum brewpot and a stainless.
                    Laboratory analysis showed that there was no significant difference in
                    trace aluminum levels between batches. They also pointed out that most
                    of the Al you digest is from your food and water. And for that matter,
                    many medical people consider copper a bigger health risk.

                    As for off flavors, IF this happens (hearsay IMO), it is probably the
                    result of the brewer scrubbing the oxidation layer of the pot during
                    cleaning. Don't scrub, use a soft cloth or sponge and non-abrasive
                    cleaner. This is one of the reasons Al is not used much commercially,
                    its not caustic cleaner friendly.

                    Some other good explanations:
                    http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2300/2344.asp?index=9
                    174
                    http://www.homedistiller.org/materials.htm
                    http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/rcb_minifaq.html
                    http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Equipment-FAQ#aluminum_b
                    rewpot
                    http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/828.html#828-20
                    http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/979079376.html
                    http://www.niehs.nih.gov/external/faq/aluminum.htm
                    http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthreference/reference/741B9A36-A8C6-4C9D-BFB41
                    E0BE9A3162C.htm?category=questions

> [...]
                    > deodorants
                    >
                    > The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
                    > calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
                    > for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
                    > calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.
                    >
                    > Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?
                    >
                    > Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
                    > chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
                    > goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
                    > compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
                    > aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
                    > example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
                    > about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
                    > maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

                  • mel stull
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                      nobody fucking died from copper.. aluminum pits, falls
                      apart, you can't even polish aluminum without getting
                      residue on your hands... and you want to you this for
                      making booze??? use stainless steel,
                      copper,...Aluminum was the most precious metal at the
                      time the Washington's monument was made and that is
                      why that was the metal used on top of the monument.
                      Mel

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Robert N
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                        This discussion sort of reminds me of the one on using plastic to store and
                        distil with. Guess the difference being is if the anti aluminium case gets
                        up you won't remember that you caused yourself to contract Alzheimer's
                        disease. Where as if you contract cancer you will always wonder whether
                        you're distilling practises caused it.

                        Once again it comes back to your choice as an adult, to weigh up the
                        consequences of your actions and your willingness to live (or die) with
                        them.

                        Yours in Spirit

                        Robert

                      • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                          The doctor said they mixed my tests up and I either had syphallis or altzheimers.
                          He said "If you find your way home don't shag your girfriend."
                          Ave'a good w'end,
                          Leigh.