Re: Use of old pressure cooker

  • muskegshine
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
      They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
      undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
      still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
      years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
      process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
      recolection of memories.

      It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
      bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
      recomend for cleaning.

      Des

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
        Do not scrub aluminium! - the oxide is a natural protection - remove
        it and you will get more pitting from acids.
        wal
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "muskegshine" <muskegshine@y...>
        wrote:
        > They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
        > undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
        > still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
        > years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
        > process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
        > recolection of memories.
        >
        > It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's
        > bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
        > recomend for cleaning.
        >
        > Des
        >

        > > It will be good for sure. My 48L pot is in
        > > aluminium and I make a very very good vodka with it.
        > > Aluminium is cheaper than stainless and conduct heat
        > > rapidly.
        > >
        > > ---------------------------------
        > > Although, this was the same kind of
        > > unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I
        > > be OK????
        > > =====
        > >
        > > Really? how did they got caught?
        > >
        > > Use it with no doubts,
        > >
        > > Maxime Belair

        > > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        > > magasinage.yahoo.ca
      • Toni Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
          Personally I would avoid aluminum. That pitting that you see is caused
          by slightly acidic foods eating away at the metal and that is how we end
          up with aluminum which is a heavy metal that our bodies can't break down
          in our system. It builds up over time and causes many different problems
          of which it is said that it is a leading contributor of Alzheimer's
          among many other things as well when you throw others into the mix as
          well.

          Toni Smith
          MSN Messenger tonimarie29@...
          Yahoo Messenger tonimarie29au
          ICQ Messenger 166838134

          It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
          bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
          recomend for cleaning.

          Des
        • Carter Cathey
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
            The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been established.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter Cathey"
              <cartercathey@c...> wrote:
              > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
              established.

              That's not entirely true. There is mounting evidence that the human
              body will use aluminum in place of the correct metals (magnesium
              etc.) when manufacturing essential metabolic enzymes. Aluminum is a
              common food additive also, which explains how we get so much into
              our systems.

              Here's a few excerpts from an interview with prominent researcher
              Harold Foster Ph.D. of the University of Victoria, Canada...

              Foster: Aluminum has been known to be a neurotoxin for over 100
              years. It has been shown in Norway, England and Wales and Canada
              that people who drink water that is high in dissolved aluminum are
              most likely to get Alzheimer's disease.

              In addition, aluminum is being used to make cans and cookware and is
              included in a wide range of foods and cosmetics. Exposure to
              aluminum is universal, but how much is absorbed and crosses the
              blood-brain barrier and how much is excreted depends on the intake,
              not just of this metal, but also of magnesium, calcium, silicon,
              phosphorus and zinc.

              On reaching the brains of individuals who are deficient in these
              minerals, aluminum replaces calcium, magnesium, zinc or phosphorus
              in at least 10 enzymes. As a result, these all malfunction,
              eventually causing the development of senile plaques,
              neurofibrillary tangles and granulovascular degeneration that are
              the hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease. In short, aluminum causes
              Alzheimer's in individuals who are overexposed to it while deficient
              in the minerals needed to make various enzymes.

              AlzheimerSupport: How does the replacement of magnesium by aluminum
              contribute to Alzheimer's?

              Foster: The evidence suggests that if there is a deficiency of a
              necessary bulk or trace element, the body will "make do" with a
              chemically similar element when trying to manufacture an enzyme. Of
              course, like using the wrong ingredient in a stew, all sorts of
              problems result from this substitution.

              AlzheimerSupport: What changes would you ideally like to see happen
              to reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease?

              Foster: I believe that the following should be banned: * the use of
              aluminum sulfate by water treatment plants. * the addition of maltol
              to beer, hot chocolate and commercially baked goods. * the use of
              aluminum in cosmetics and cans * aluminum foil * aluminum containing
              deodorants

              The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
              calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
              for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
              calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.

              Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?

              Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
              chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
              goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
              compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
              aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
              example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
              about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
              maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

              (full interview here...)
              http://www.alzheimersupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?ID=1496

            • Kim Walker
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                remember........ [;-)))

                Carter Cathey wrote:

                > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                > established.

              • Sven Pfitt
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                  As long as I can remember, we always used SS. Mostly Revere Copper
                  bottom pots and pans.

                  I don't drink soda in cans. And, I make my own beer.

                  So if I get alzheimers, what do I blame it on?

                  Sven

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kim Walker <kimwalk@u...> wrote:
                  > I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                  > remember........ [;-)))
                  >
                  > Carter Cathey wrote:
                  >
                  > > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                  > > established.

                  ...snip...
                • Scott Petrinec
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                    People have cooked and drank from aluminum for many years. Even if you do not ever drink from aluminum cans, or cook in aluminum pots....I don't think an occasional bottle of shine that came from an aluminum pressure cooker will be any worse for you than shine that you made from a Stainless Steel stockpot. Unless you drink about 5 gallons of it a day.
                    As far as the pitting, use some muscle and scrub the heck out of it. To prevent it from pitting again....do not use any kind of salts in it (when cooking with it, or cleaning it) .

                    I used a pressure cooker for years, as my grandfather did also.

                    Carter Cathey wrote:

                    > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                    > established.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Carter Cathey
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                      I suppose, then, that is a matter of what research you prefer... I did a
                      google search for aluminum and alzheimers and found a lifetime of reading.
                      They all seem to say either:

                      1) aluminum has no impact
                      -or-
                      2) there are some correlations, but no difinitive research has proved a
                      link

                      There is no hard scince behind this claim. Maybe someday, but not today.
                      That is all I was saying.

                      Here is a few of the things I found...

                      There has been a good deal of "discussion" as to whether or not the
                      use of aluminum in brewing contributes to Alzheimer's disease. Thanks
                      to Oliver Weatherbee for providing to following:

                      Aluminum has NOT been linked to Alzheimer's disease. The following is
                      taken from "Frequently Asked Questions About Neurological Problems" at
                      The Department of Neurological Surgery of The Cleveland Clinic
                      Foundation (http://www.neus.ccf.org/patients/faq.html): (This doesn't
                      work anymore, but www.ccf.org will get you there)

                      "There is little support for the theory that aluminum causes
                      Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United
                      States. The exact cause of this disease is unknown, although the risk
                      of Alzheimer's is higher when there is a family history of this
                      disease.

                      [two paragraphs removed]

                      Workers exposed to high levels of aluminum in industrial environments
                      have no increased incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Furthermore,
                      careful studies to date have not shown an increased aluminum
                      concentration in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients.

                      Since there is no convincing evidence linking aluminum toxicity with
                      Alzheimer's disease, you need not worry about exposure to aluminum in
                      cooking utensils."

                      Furthermore, Brewing Techniques (Jan/Feb '95) had an article on a
                      parallel brew experiment using an aluminum brewpot and a stainless.
                      Laboratory analysis showed that there was no significant difference in
                      trace aluminum levels between batches. They also pointed out that most
                      of the Al you digest is from your food and water. And for that matter,
                      many medical people consider copper a bigger health risk.

                      As for off flavors, IF this happens (hearsay IMO), it is probably the
                      result of the brewer scrubbing the oxidation layer of the pot during
                      cleaning. Don't scrub, use a soft cloth or sponge and non-abrasive
                      cleaner. This is one of the reasons Al is not used much commercially,
                      its not caustic cleaner friendly.

                      Some other good explanations:
                      http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2300/2344.asp?index=9
                      174
                      http://www.homedistiller.org/materials.htm
                      http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/rcb_minifaq.html
                      http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Equipment-FAQ#aluminum_b
                      rewpot
                      http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/828.html#828-20
                      http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/979079376.html
                      http://www.niehs.nih.gov/external/faq/aluminum.htm
                      http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthreference/reference/741B9A36-A8C6-4C9D-BFB41
                      E0BE9A3162C.htm?category=questions

> [...]
                      > deodorants
                      >
                      > The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
                      > calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
                      > for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
                      > calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.
                      >
                      > Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?
                      >
                      > Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
                      > chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
                      > goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
                      > compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
                      > aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
                      > example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
                      > about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
                      > maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

                    • mel stull
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                        nobody fucking died from copper.. aluminum pits, falls
                        apart, you can't even polish aluminum without getting
                        residue on your hands... and you want to you this for
                        making booze??? use stainless steel,
                        copper,...Aluminum was the most precious metal at the
                        time the Washington's monument was made and that is
                        why that was the metal used on top of the monument.
                        Mel

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Robert N
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                          This discussion sort of reminds me of the one on using plastic to store and
                          distil with. Guess the difference being is if the anti aluminium case gets
                          up you won't remember that you caused yourself to contract Alzheimer's
                          disease. Where as if you contract cancer you will always wonder whether
                          you're distilling practises caused it.

                          Once again it comes back to your choice as an adult, to weigh up the
                          consequences of your actions and your willingness to live (or die) with
                          them.

                          Yours in Spirit

                          Robert

                        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                            The doctor said they mixed my tests up and I either had syphallis or altzheimers.
                            He said "If you find your way home don't shag your girfriend."
                            Ave'a good w'end,
                            Leigh.