Re: [Distillers] Use of old pressure cooker

  • Maxime Belair
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2 5:39 PM
      Hi,

      It will be good for sure. My 48L pot is in
      aluminium and I make a very very good vodka with it.
      Aluminium is cheaper than stainless and conduct heat
      rapidly.

      ---------------------------------
      Although, this was the same kind of
      unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I
      be OK????
      =====

      Really? how did they got caught?

      Use it with no doubts,

      Maxime Belair

      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
      magasinage.yahoo.ca
    • muskegshine
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2 6:37 PM
        They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
        undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
        still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
        years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
        process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
        recolection of memories.

        It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
        bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
        recomend for cleaning.

        Des

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3 4:47 AM
          Do not scrub aluminium! - the oxide is a natural protection - remove
          it and you will get more pitting from acids.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "muskegshine" <muskegshine@y...>
          wrote:
          > They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
          > undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
          > still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
          > years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
          > process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
          > recolection of memories.
          >
          > It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's
          > bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
          > recomend for cleaning.
          >
          > Des
          >

          > > It will be good for sure. My 48L pot is in
          > > aluminium and I make a very very good vodka with it.
          > > Aluminium is cheaper than stainless and conduct heat
          > > rapidly.
          > >
          > > ---------------------------------
          > > Although, this was the same kind of
          > > unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I
          > > be OK????
          > > =====
          > >
          > > Really? how did they got caught?
          > >
          > > Use it with no doubts,
          > >
          > > Maxime Belair

          > > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          > > magasinage.yahoo.ca
        • Toni Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4 5:01 AM
            Personally I would avoid aluminum. That pitting that you see is caused
            by slightly acidic foods eating away at the metal and that is how we end
            up with aluminum which is a heavy metal that our bodies can't break down
            in our system. It builds up over time and causes many different problems
            of which it is said that it is a leading contributor of Alzheimer's
            among many other things as well when you throw others into the mix as
            well.

            Toni Smith
            MSN Messenger tonimarie29@...
            Yahoo Messenger tonimarie29au
            ICQ Messenger 166838134

            It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
            bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
            recomend for cleaning.

            Des
          • Carter Cathey
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7 7:44 PM
              The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been established.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 7 8:15 PM
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter Cathey"
                <cartercathey@c...> wrote:
                > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                established.

                That's not entirely true. There is mounting evidence that the human
                body will use aluminum in place of the correct metals (magnesium
                etc.) when manufacturing essential metabolic enzymes. Aluminum is a
                common food additive also, which explains how we get so much into
                our systems.

                Here's a few excerpts from an interview with prominent researcher
                Harold Foster Ph.D. of the University of Victoria, Canada...

                Foster: Aluminum has been known to be a neurotoxin for over 100
                years. It has been shown in Norway, England and Wales and Canada
                that people who drink water that is high in dissolved aluminum are
                most likely to get Alzheimer's disease.

                In addition, aluminum is being used to make cans and cookware and is
                included in a wide range of foods and cosmetics. Exposure to
                aluminum is universal, but how much is absorbed and crosses the
                blood-brain barrier and how much is excreted depends on the intake,
                not just of this metal, but also of magnesium, calcium, silicon,
                phosphorus and zinc.

                On reaching the brains of individuals who are deficient in these
                minerals, aluminum replaces calcium, magnesium, zinc or phosphorus
                in at least 10 enzymes. As a result, these all malfunction,
                eventually causing the development of senile plaques,
                neurofibrillary tangles and granulovascular degeneration that are
                the hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease. In short, aluminum causes
                Alzheimer's in individuals who are overexposed to it while deficient
                in the minerals needed to make various enzymes.

                AlzheimerSupport: How does the replacement of magnesium by aluminum
                contribute to Alzheimer's?

                Foster: The evidence suggests that if there is a deficiency of a
                necessary bulk or trace element, the body will "make do" with a
                chemically similar element when trying to manufacture an enzyme. Of
                course, like using the wrong ingredient in a stew, all sorts of
                problems result from this substitution.

                AlzheimerSupport: What changes would you ideally like to see happen
                to reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease?

                Foster: I believe that the following should be banned: * the use of
                aluminum sulfate by water treatment plants. * the addition of maltol
                to beer, hot chocolate and commercially baked goods. * the use of
                aluminum in cosmetics and cans * aluminum foil * aluminum containing
                deodorants

                The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
                calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
                for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
                calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.

                Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?

                Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
                chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
                goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
                compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
                aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
                example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
                about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
                maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

                (full interview here...)
                http://www.alzheimersupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?ID=1496

              • Kim Walker
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 8 8:15 AM
                  I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                  remember........ [;-)))

                  Carter Cathey wrote:

                  > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                  > established.

                • Sven Pfitt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 8 9:32 AM
                    As long as I can remember, we always used SS. Mostly Revere Copper
                    bottom pots and pans.

                    I don't drink soda in cans. And, I make my own beer.

                    So if I get alzheimers, what do I blame it on?

                    Sven

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kim Walker <kimwalk@u...> wrote:
                    > I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                    > remember........ [;-)))
                    >
                    > Carter Cathey wrote:
                    >
                    > > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                    > > established.

                    ...snip...
                  • Scott Petrinec
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8 10:18 AM
                      People have cooked and drank from aluminum for many years. Even if you do not ever drink from aluminum cans, or cook in aluminum pots....I don't think an occasional bottle of shine that came from an aluminum pressure cooker will be any worse for you than shine that you made from a Stainless Steel stockpot. Unless you drink about 5 gallons of it a day.
                      As far as the pitting, use some muscle and scrub the heck out of it. To prevent it from pitting again....do not use any kind of salts in it (when cooking with it, or cleaning it) .

                      I used a pressure cooker for years, as my grandfather did also.

                      Carter Cathey wrote:

                      > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                      > established.

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • Carter Cathey
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8 8:02 PM
                        I suppose, then, that is a matter of what research you prefer... I did a
                        google search for aluminum and alzheimers and found a lifetime of reading.
                        They all seem to say either:

                        1) aluminum has no impact
                        -or-
                        2) there are some correlations, but no difinitive research has proved a
                        link

                        There is no hard scince behind this claim. Maybe someday, but not today.
                        That is all I was saying.

                        Here is a few of the things I found...

                        There has been a good deal of "discussion" as to whether or not the
                        use of aluminum in brewing contributes to Alzheimer's disease. Thanks
                        to Oliver Weatherbee for providing to following:

                        Aluminum has NOT been linked to Alzheimer's disease. The following is
                        taken from "Frequently Asked Questions About Neurological Problems" at
                        The Department of Neurological Surgery of The Cleveland Clinic
                        Foundation (http://www.neus.ccf.org/patients/faq.html): (This doesn't
                        work anymore, but www.ccf.org will get you there)

                        "There is little support for the theory that aluminum causes
                        Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United
                        States. The exact cause of this disease is unknown, although the risk
                        of Alzheimer's is higher when there is a family history of this
                        disease.

                        [two paragraphs removed]

                        Workers exposed to high levels of aluminum in industrial environments
                        have no increased incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Furthermore,
                        careful studies to date have not shown an increased aluminum
                        concentration in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients.

                        Since there is no convincing evidence linking aluminum toxicity with
                        Alzheimer's disease, you need not worry about exposure to aluminum in
                        cooking utensils."

                        Furthermore, Brewing Techniques (Jan/Feb '95) had an article on a
                        parallel brew experiment using an aluminum brewpot and a stainless.
                        Laboratory analysis showed that there was no significant difference in
                        trace aluminum levels between batches. They also pointed out that most
                        of the Al you digest is from your food and water. And for that matter,
                        many medical people consider copper a bigger health risk.

                        As for off flavors, IF this happens (hearsay IMO), it is probably the
                        result of the brewer scrubbing the oxidation layer of the pot during
                        cleaning. Don't scrub, use a soft cloth or sponge and non-abrasive
                        cleaner. This is one of the reasons Al is not used much commercially,
                        its not caustic cleaner friendly.

                        Some other good explanations:
                        http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2300/2344.asp?index=9
                        174
                        http://www.homedistiller.org/materials.htm
                        http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/rcb_minifaq.html
                        http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Equipment-FAQ#aluminum_b
                        rewpot
                        http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/828.html#828-20
                        http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/979079376.html
                        http://www.niehs.nih.gov/external/faq/aluminum.htm
                        http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthreference/reference/741B9A36-A8C6-4C9D-BFB41
                        E0BE9A3162C.htm?category=questions

> [...]
                        > deodorants
                        >
                        > The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
                        > calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
                        > for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
                        > calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.
                        >
                        > Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?
                        >
                        > Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
                        > chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
                        > goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
                        > compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
                        > aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
                        > example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
                        > about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
                        > maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

                      • mel stull
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8 8:27 PM
                          nobody fucking died from copper.. aluminum pits, falls
                          apart, you can't even polish aluminum without getting
                          residue on your hands... and you want to you this for
                          making booze??? use stainless steel,
                          copper,...Aluminum was the most precious metal at the
                          time the Washington's monument was made and that is
                          why that was the metal used on top of the monument.
                          Mel

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        • Robert N
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 9 2:02 AM
                            This discussion sort of reminds me of the one on using plastic to store and
                            distil with. Guess the difference being is if the anti aluminium case gets
                            up you won't remember that you caused yourself to contract Alzheimer's
                            disease. Where as if you contract cancer you will always wonder whether
                            you're distilling practises caused it.

                            Once again it comes back to your choice as an adult, to weigh up the
                            consequences of your actions and your willingness to live (or die) with
                            them.

                            Yours in Spirit

                            Robert

                          • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 9 3:58 PM
                              The doctor said they mixed my tests up and I either had syphallis or altzheimers.
                              He said "If you find your way home don't shag your girfriend."
                              Ave'a good w'end,
                              Leigh.