Use of old pressure cooker

  • muskegshine
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
      I've just bought a good heavy old aluminum pressure cooker to use
      as
      a still. This is the type that has the six threaded clamps around the
      outside edge of the lid. I'm really hoping I can use this as, I
      already have a new lighter version I use for canning, and I don't
      need two. Right after I bought it I went to the Web and started doing
      some research on the matter of home distillation and haven't seen
      lot of mention of aluminum. Which has made me think that there could
      be a problem with this material. Although, this was the same kind of
      unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I be OK????
    • Maxime Belair
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
        Hi,

        It will be good for sure. My 48L pot is in
        aluminium and I make a very very good vodka with it.
        Aluminium is cheaper than stainless and conduct heat
        rapidly.

        ---------------------------------
        Although, this was the same kind of
        unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I
        be OK????
        =====

        Really? how did they got caught?

        Use it with no doubts,

        Maxime Belair

        Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        magasinage.yahoo.ca
      • muskegshine
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2004
          They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
          undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
          still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
          years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
          process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
          recolection of memories.

          It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
          bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
          recomend for cleaning.

          Des

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2004
            Do not scrub aluminium! - the oxide is a natural protection - remove
            it and you will get more pitting from acids.
            wal
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "muskegshine" <muskegshine@y...>
            wrote:
            > They got caught by trying to sell a case of fig shine to and
            > undercover RCMP officer. So much for the shine, so much for the
            > still, so much for a family legacy. My stepfather passed away two
            > years ago, The sad part is I never showed much interest in the
            > process. Now I'm trying to start ip up on my own from a pretty slim
            > recolection of memories.
            >
            > It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's
            > bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
            > recomend for cleaning.
            >
            > Des
            >

            > > It will be good for sure. My 48L pot is in
            > > aluminium and I make a very very good vodka with it.
            > > Aluminium is cheaper than stainless and conduct heat
            > > rapidly.
            > >
            > > ---------------------------------
            > > Although, this was the same kind of
            > > unit my step dad used before they got caught. Will I
            > > be OK????
            > > =====
            > >
            > > Really? how did they got caught?
            > >
            > > Use it with no doubts,
            > >
            > > Maxime Belair

            > > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
            > > magasinage.yahoo.ca
          • Toni Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2004
              Personally I would avoid aluminum. That pitting that you see is caused
              by slightly acidic foods eating away at the metal and that is how we end
              up with aluminum which is a heavy metal that our bodies can't break down
              in our system. It builds up over time and causes many different problems
              of which it is said that it is a leading contributor of Alzheimer's
              among many other things as well when you throw others into the mix as
              well.

              Toni Smith
              MSN Messenger tonimarie29@...
              Yahoo Messenger tonimarie29au
              ICQ Messenger 166838134

              It's a real nice cooker, American made with nice thick walls. It's a
              bit pitted on the in side, but nothing too serious. What would you
              recomend for cleaning.

              Des
            • Carter Cathey
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
                The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been established.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 7, 2004
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter Cathey"
                  <cartercathey@c...> wrote:
                  > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                  established.

                  That's not entirely true. There is mounting evidence that the human
                  body will use aluminum in place of the correct metals (magnesium
                  etc.) when manufacturing essential metabolic enzymes. Aluminum is a
                  common food additive also, which explains how we get so much into
                  our systems.

                  Here's a few excerpts from an interview with prominent researcher
                  Harold Foster Ph.D. of the University of Victoria, Canada...

                  Foster: Aluminum has been known to be a neurotoxin for over 100
                  years. It has been shown in Norway, England and Wales and Canada
                  that people who drink water that is high in dissolved aluminum are
                  most likely to get Alzheimer's disease.

                  In addition, aluminum is being used to make cans and cookware and is
                  included in a wide range of foods and cosmetics. Exposure to
                  aluminum is universal, but how much is absorbed and crosses the
                  blood-brain barrier and how much is excreted depends on the intake,
                  not just of this metal, but also of magnesium, calcium, silicon,
                  phosphorus and zinc.

                  On reaching the brains of individuals who are deficient in these
                  minerals, aluminum replaces calcium, magnesium, zinc or phosphorus
                  in at least 10 enzymes. As a result, these all malfunction,
                  eventually causing the development of senile plaques,
                  neurofibrillary tangles and granulovascular degeneration that are
                  the hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease. In short, aluminum causes
                  Alzheimer's in individuals who are overexposed to it while deficient
                  in the minerals needed to make various enzymes.

                  AlzheimerSupport: How does the replacement of magnesium by aluminum
                  contribute to Alzheimer's?

                  Foster: The evidence suggests that if there is a deficiency of a
                  necessary bulk or trace element, the body will "make do" with a
                  chemically similar element when trying to manufacture an enzyme. Of
                  course, like using the wrong ingredient in a stew, all sorts of
                  problems result from this substitution.

                  AlzheimerSupport: What changes would you ideally like to see happen
                  to reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease?

                  Foster: I believe that the following should be banned: * the use of
                  aluminum sulfate by water treatment plants. * the addition of maltol
                  to beer, hot chocolate and commercially baked goods. * the use of
                  aluminum in cosmetics and cans * aluminum foil * aluminum containing
                  deodorants

                  The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
                  calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
                  for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
                  calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.

                  Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?

                  Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
                  chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
                  goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
                  compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
                  aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
                  example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
                  about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
                  maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

                  (full interview here...)
                  http://www.alzheimersupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?ID=1496

                • Kim Walker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                    I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                    remember........ [;-)))

                    Carter Cathey wrote:

                    > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                    > established.

                  • Sven Pfitt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                      As long as I can remember, we always used SS. Mostly Revere Copper
                      bottom pots and pans.

                      I don't drink soda in cans. And, I make my own beer.

                      So if I get alzheimers, what do I blame it on?

                      Sven

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kim Walker <kimwalk@u...> wrote:
                      > I think my wife used to cook in aluminum pots but I don't
                      > remember........ [;-)))
                      >
                      > Carter Cathey wrote:
                      >
                      > > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                      > > established.

                      ...snip...
                    • Scott Petrinec
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                        People have cooked and drank from aluminum for many years. Even if you do not ever drink from aluminum cans, or cook in aluminum pots....I don't think an occasional bottle of shine that came from an aluminum pressure cooker will be any worse for you than shine that you made from a Stainless Steel stockpot. Unless you drink about 5 gallons of it a day.
                        As far as the pitting, use some muscle and scrub the heck out of it. To prevent it from pitting again....do not use any kind of salts in it (when cooking with it, or cleaning it) .

                        I used a pressure cooker for years, as my grandfather did also.

                        Carter Cathey wrote:

                        > The causative link between aluminum and alzheimers has not been
                        > established.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • Carter Cathey
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                          I suppose, then, that is a matter of what research you prefer... I did a
                          google search for aluminum and alzheimers and found a lifetime of reading.
                          They all seem to say either:

                          1) aluminum has no impact
                          -or-
                          2) there are some correlations, but no difinitive research has proved a
                          link

                          There is no hard scince behind this claim. Maybe someday, but not today.
                          That is all I was saying.

                          Here is a few of the things I found...

                          There has been a good deal of "discussion" as to whether or not the
                          use of aluminum in brewing contributes to Alzheimer's disease. Thanks
                          to Oliver Weatherbee for providing to following:

                          Aluminum has NOT been linked to Alzheimer's disease. The following is
                          taken from "Frequently Asked Questions About Neurological Problems" at
                          The Department of Neurological Surgery of The Cleveland Clinic
                          Foundation (http://www.neus.ccf.org/patients/faq.html): (This doesn't
                          work anymore, but www.ccf.org will get you there)

                          "There is little support for the theory that aluminum causes
                          Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United
                          States. The exact cause of this disease is unknown, although the risk
                          of Alzheimer's is higher when there is a family history of this
                          disease.

                          [two paragraphs removed]

                          Workers exposed to high levels of aluminum in industrial environments
                          have no increased incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Furthermore,
                          careful studies to date have not shown an increased aluminum
                          concentration in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients.

                          Since there is no convincing evidence linking aluminum toxicity with
                          Alzheimer's disease, you need not worry about exposure to aluminum in
                          cooking utensils."

                          Furthermore, Brewing Techniques (Jan/Feb '95) had an article on a
                          parallel brew experiment using an aluminum brewpot and a stainless.
                          Laboratory analysis showed that there was no significant difference in
                          trace aluminum levels between batches. They also pointed out that most
                          of the Al you digest is from your food and water. And for that matter,
                          many medical people consider copper a bigger health risk.

                          As for off flavors, IF this happens (hearsay IMO), it is probably the
                          result of the brewer scrubbing the oxidation layer of the pot during
                          cleaning. Don't scrub, use a soft cloth or sponge and non-abrasive
                          cleaner. This is one of the reasons Al is not used much commercially,
                          its not caustic cleaner friendly.

                          Some other good explanations:
                          http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2300/2344.asp?index=9
                          174
                          http://www.homedistiller.org/materials.htm
                          http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/rcb_minifaq.html
                          http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Equipment-FAQ#aluminum_b
                          rewpot
                          http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/828.html#828-20
                          http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/979079376.html
                          http://www.niehs.nih.gov/external/faq/aluminum.htm
                          http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthreference/reference/741B9A36-A8C6-4C9D-BFB41
                          E0BE9A3162C.htm?category=questions

> [...]
                          > deodorants
                          >
                          > The following should be encouraged: * high magnesium and high
                          > calcium drinking water * lowering of the maximum allowable levels
                          > for aluminum in water and soft drinks. * the use of
                          > calcium/magnesium supplements and of selenium and vitamins C and E.
                          >
                          > Alzheimersupport: What is maltol?
                          >
                          > Foster: Maltol is a common food additive that is put into hot
                          > chocolate, beer, various other drink mixes and commercial baked
                          > goods. It reacts with aluminum to form aluminum maltolate. This
                          > compond can cross the blood-brain barrier with great ease, allowing
                          > aluminum access to the brain. Researchers Mclachlan and Kruch, for
                          > example, showed that maltol increased aluminum uptake by rabbits
                          > about ninetyfold, suggesting certain foods containing the additive
                          > maltol help transport aluminum to the human brain.

                        • mel stull
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 8, 2004
                            nobody fucking died from copper.. aluminum pits, falls
                            apart, you can't even polish aluminum without getting
                            residue on your hands... and you want to you this for
                            making booze??? use stainless steel,
                            copper,...Aluminum was the most precious metal at the
                            time the Washington's monument was made and that is
                            why that was the metal used on top of the monument.
                            Mel

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • Robert N
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                              This discussion sort of reminds me of the one on using plastic to store and
                              distil with. Guess the difference being is if the anti aluminium case gets
                              up you won't remember that you caused yourself to contract Alzheimer's
                              disease. Where as if you contract cancer you will always wonder whether
                              you're distilling practises caused it.

                              Once again it comes back to your choice as an adult, to weigh up the
                              consequences of your actions and your willingness to live (or die) with
                              them.

                              Yours in Spirit

                              Robert

                            • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 9, 2004
                                The doctor said they mixed my tests up and I either had syphallis or altzheimers.
                                He said "If you find your way home don't shag your girfriend."
                                Ave'a good w'end,
                                Leigh.