Sugar Wash Story

  • Maxime Belair
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hi!

      I finally found how to brew a sugar wash! The key (for
      me) is to add brown sugar. I added 4kg of brown sugar
      to 6kg of white sugar diluted to 40L . Alcohol potent
      13% (1.094 S.G.)
      Also, after 3-4 days the fermentation was beggining to
      slow down. I verifyed the Ph and it was very acid. I
      can't tell exactly how acid, I use little Ph papers,
      (very approximative...) So I added 15 tsp of Sodium
      bicarbonate to get it in the right zone. This helped
      a lot, it is now fermenting faster it started smelling
      like rotten eggs. I think this is a good sign.

      Initially when I pitched the yeast the ph was of about
      4-4.5ph but after a couple of days of fermentation it
      seems that the wash gets more acid by it's own. Next
      time, I won't add acid at the beggining.

      I think I could use half less brown sugar and ferment
      at an higher %. I'll try this next batch. My first
      intention was to add DAP to my nutrient Fermaid, but I
      couldn't find DAP. I think brown sugar is the
      cheapest alternative. 2.80$ canadian for 2kg.

      In about 5 days of fermentation the wash is now at
      6.1% alcohol.
      Note that I started with only 10gr of EC-1118. (No
      starter)

      Cheers!

      Maxime Belair

      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?