Best Yeast

  • pthoma_nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      I have only tried Still Spirits, Alcotec, and Code 6... I like Code
      6 the best ...
    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...> wrote:
        > I have only tried Still Spirits, Alcotec, and Code 6... I like Code
        > 6 the best ...

        I don't try to break any speed barriers. I have only tried EC1118 or
        its Redstar equivalent PDM. I have never had objectionable flavors
        and have always made 18% abv.
      • Zarklan Zhaphedoix
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2004
          What are the best and cheapest yeast strains to use? I have used bulk bakers yeast(over a pound at a time) but I don't have a refractometer or hydrometer.

          If I were to boil a pound or so of baker's yeast would that be a yest nutrient for a high alcohol strain.

          -Z

          toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@y...> wrote:
          > I have only tried Still Spirits, Alcotec, and Code 6... I like Code
          > 6 the best ...

          I don't try to break any speed barriers. I have only tried EC1118 or
          its Redstar equivalent PDM. I have never had objectionable flavors
          and have always made 18% abv.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Maxime Belair
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2004
            Hi Zarklan,
            The cheapest is the one you already
            use. 100gr for like 4-5$ canadian. I red that he
            limit of this yeast is like 13-14%.
            So, even with yeast nutrients, I think you won't be
            able to get over 14%. Try ec-1118 if you can get the
            hand on it. And if you don't have DAP, add brown
            sugar to your sugar wash. It makes all the
            difference. Also, after you syphon your last wash,
            let the yeast in the bottom of the fermenter and brew
            another wash over it without adding new yeast. After
            your first batch, if you started with 10gr of yeast
            for 40L wash, the yeast will mutiply and the second
            batch will ferment faster...

            Maxime Belair

            ---------------------------------
            What are the best and cheapest yeast strains to use? I
            have used bulk bakers yeast(over a pound at a time)
            but I don't have a refractometer or hydrometer.

            If I were to boil a pound or so of baker's yeast would
            that be a yest nutrient for a high alcohol strain.

            -Z

            Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
            magasinage.yahoo.ca
          • pthoma_nz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Maxime Belair
              <maxime_belair@y...> wrote:
              > Also, after you syphon your last wash,
              > let the yeast in the bottom of the fermenter and brew
              > another wash over it without adding new yeast. After
              > your first batch, if you started with 10gr of yeast
              > for 40L wash, the yeast will mutiply and the second
              > batch will ferment faster...

              I haven't tried reusing spent yeast... do you need to add more
              nutrient? What about water temps when mixing new batch? can yeast be
              killed if temps too low i.e. cold water

              How many times can the same yeast be used ?

              peet
            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
                From: "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@...>

                > I haven't tried reusing spent yeast... do you need to add more
                > nutrient?

                If they are going to be sitting more than a day or three.

                >What about water temps when mixing new batch? can yeast be
                > killed if temps too low i.e. cold water

                No, but it will slow them. Cold doesn't kill yeast until the freezing
                damages the cell walls.

                > How many times can the same yeast be used ?

                Until you kill them or the culture gets contaminated by lacto or some other
                nastie. Sour and a floating mould will be you first clues. It is
                vanishingly unlikely as long as you keep them going in the same fermentor,
                with enough nutrient to develop an alcoholic environment.

                Larry

                Larry