Oak Chips

  • Robert Elliott
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 2001

      I just purchased some american oak chips and if i soak them in 40%
      neutral spirit which someone that i know has done,what sort of
      flavour will this give it...is it enough to make it a good drink with
      time??....the colour that the spirit has gone is amazing in only a
      week...one packet in about 8 litres of spirit

      Hi Glenn,

      You ought to source out Jack Daniel's Chips and give them a try.

      I don't know what part of the world you are in but I know that they are available (with some degree of difficulty) in The Land of Oz and they are also available through dealers in NZ.

      The result is amazingly like the genuine article as they are made from the discarded barrels that the Real McCoy was made in.

      Regards,

      Bob.
    • Pete Sayers

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 19, 2003
          I have been trying for quite some time to find a source of genuine
          American white oak chips to flavuor and colour my spirit.
          This week I found it.The source is a small company in the Highlands
          of Scotland that Spcializes in recycling used whisky barrels.
          I made personal contact with the manager of the company and mannaged
          to make arrangments to collect a sample.When I arrived home I eagerly
          opened the tightly sealed plastic bag and was almost overwhelmed by
          the fantastic aroma that came from inside.It was just like the nose of
          a very old expensive single malt.I could't wait to get started and
          right away put a half ounce or so into a bottle and added a quater
          pint of my clear spirit.I had no idea how long it would take to
          impart it's colour and flavour so went to bed dreaming of sipping
          expensive single malt. In the morning I awoke to find a quater pint
          of beutifull amber liquid and could'nt wait to taste it. I quickly
          stuffed the spout of a small funnel with fillter paper and poured
          the amber liquid into the funnel.It dripped through at about three
          drops per two seconds,slowly filling the whisky tumbler with a clear
          sprkling amber nectar.As soon as there was enough to cover the bottom
          of the tumbler I just had to test it.
          A short sniff and a wee sip and my patience had been rewarded
          and,like me,it can only improve with age. It will take time to get
          the quantity's and timing worked out for the best results but I will
          enjoy every single malt minute of it.

          Cheers
          Kaydee
        • lynnehal
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19, 2003
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kaydee1938" <kaydee1938@h...>
            wrote:
            > I have been trying for quite some time to find a source of genuine
            > American white oak chips to flavuor and colour my spirit.
            > This week I found it.The source is a small company in the Highlands
            > of Scotland that Spcializes in recycling used whisky barrels.
            > I made personal contact with the manager of the company and mannaged
            > to make arrangments to collect a sample.When I arrived home I
            eagerly
            > opened the tightly sealed plastic bag and was almost overwhelmed by
            > the fantastic aroma that came from inside.It was just like the nose
            of
            > a very old expensive single malt.I could't wait to get started and
            > right away put a half ounce or so into a bottle and added a quater
            > pint of my clear spirit.I had no idea how long it would take to
            > impart it's colour and flavour so went to bed dreaming of sipping
            > expensive single malt. In the morning I awoke to find a quater pint
            > of beutifull amber liquid and could'nt wait to taste it. I quickly
            > stuffed the spout of a small funnel with fillter paper and poured
            > the amber liquid into the funnel.It dripped through at about three
            > drops per two seconds,slowly filling the whisky tumbler with a clear
            > sprkling amber nectar.As soon as there was enough to cover the
            bottom
            > of the tumbler I just had to test it.
            > A short sniff and a wee sip and my patience had been rewarded
            > and,like me,it can only improve with age. It will take time to get
            > the quantity's and timing worked out for the best results but I
            will
            > enjoy every single malt minute of it.
            >

            > Cheers
            > Kaydee

            kaydee it is good to hear you had a win.. lifes good when somthing
            terns out right for a change.. if only I was abell to fined a suply
            out hear in oz you just can not fined chips like you did..just lots
            of old wine barrels. will have to just keep looking.
            all the best Davlyn..
          • kaydee1938
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 19, 2003
              Davlyn,
              If you are desperate for Oak Chips, I am sure we can fix
              something up as long as I can cover my cost and cost of postage.
              contact me @ kaydee1938@....

              Cheers
              kaydee

            • Jan Ooms
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19, 2003
                Hi Davlyn,
                Where do you live in Australia. If you live in Brisbane I can give you oakchips for free, toasted or untoasted, french or american.
                Regards,
                Jan.
                      If you are desperate for Oak Chips, I am sure we can fix
                something up as long as I can cover my cost and cost of postage.
                contact me @  kaydee1938@....

                Cheers
                kaydee

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lynnehal" <lynnedave@b...> wrote:
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kaydee1938" <kaydee1938@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > I have been trying for quite some time to find a source of genuine
                > > American white oak chips to flavuor and colour my spirit.
                > > This week I found it.The source is a small company in the
                Highlands
                > > of Scotland that Spcializes in recycling used whisky barrels.
                > > I made personal contact with the manager of the company and
                mannaged
                > > to make arrangments to collect a sample.When I arrived home I
                > eagerly
                > > opened the tightly sealed plastic bag and was almost overwhelmed
                by
                > > the fantastic aroma that came from inside.It was just like the
                nose
                > of
                > > a very old expensive single malt.I could't wait to get started and
                > > right away put a half ounce or so into a bottle and added a quater
                > > pint of my clear spirit.I had no idea how long it would take to
                > > impart it's  colour and flavour so went to bed dreaming of sipping
                > > expensive single malt. In the morning I awoke to find a quater
                pint
                > > of beutifull amber liquid and could'nt wait to taste it. I quickly
                > > stuffed the spout of a small funnel with fillter paper and poured
                > > the amber liquid into the funnel.It dripped through at about three
                > > drops per two seconds,slowly filling the whisky tumbler with a
                clear
                > > sprkling amber nectar.As soon as there was enough to cover the
                > bottom
                > > of the tumbler I just had to test it.
                > > A short sniff and a wee sip and my patience had been rewarded
                > > and,like me,it can only improve with age. It will take time to get
                > > the quantity's and timing worked out for the best results but I
                > will
                > > enjoy every single malt minute of it.
                > >

                > > Cheers
                > > Kaydee
                >
                > kaydee it is good to hear you had a win.. lifes good when somthing
                > terns out right for a change.. if only I was abell to fined a suply
                > out hear in oz you just can not fined chips like you did..just lots
                > of old wine barrels. will have to just keep looking.
                > all the best Davlyn..

              • lynnehal
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 19, 2003
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Ooms" <jkooms@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Davlyn,
                  > Where do you live in Australia. If you live in Brisbane I can give
                  you oakchips for free, toasted or untoasted, french or american.
                  > Regards,
                  > Jan.

                  Thanks Jan
                  I live in Whyalla, South australia about 400k north of adelaide,
                  But i would be intersted in paying the post cost, but i dont know if
                  you are alowed to send them by post i will fined out..
                  Thanks Davlyn..
                • tigger bear
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 20, 2003
                    hi kaydee , was wondering if u could give me the address of your sorce of oak chips,im in australia and carnt find them any were,

                    thanks for your time
                    garry

                    kaydee1938 <kaydee1938@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                  • Jan Ooms
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 20, 2003
                      Hi Kaydee,
                      Of course you are allowed to send oakchips by mail. We are not ruled by Hitlers browns shirts yet, although sometimes it makes one wonder.
                      Send me an email privately and we can come to some arrangements.
                      Regards,
                      Jan.----- Original Message -----
                      > Where do you live in Australia. If you live in Brisbane I can give
                      you oakchips for free, toasted or untoasted, french or american.
                      > Regards,
                      > Jan.

                    • rafpkf
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 14, 2003
                        I noticed these on ebay. Wondered if it was worth a try if they cost
                        only $1 or so.
                        Item=2360010778
                        Toasted White Oak Strips for Whiskey Aging
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                        ViewItem&item=2360010778&category=38172

                        > Hi Davlyn,
                        > Where do you live in Australia. If you live in Brisbane I can give
                        you oakchips for free, toasted or untoasted, french or american.
                        > Regards,
                        > Jan.

                      • italiandistiller
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                          Does soaking clear spirit in Oak Chips add congeners? I had a bit of a
                          hangover today and that was the only noted difference.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "italiandistiller"
                            <italiandistiller@y...> wrote:

                            > Does soaking clear spirit in Oak Chips add congeners? I had a bit of
                            > hangover today and that was the only noted difference.

                            It is possible, if the oak chips are made from used barrels (many
                            are). However it's more likely you have cut a bit into the tails.