Re: [Distillers] Green Anise & Roman Wormwood

  • Rana Pipiens
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 4, 2004
      Andrew, I think I unintentionly forgot to thank you. In an earlier post I mentioned that in the past I have found star anise for a good price in chinese markets. I haven't checked lately. My question (which you answered) was about green anise. Seems that when we mnget into these obscure herbs we come across some odd names due their long and various use by so many different cultures. Names like fennel of Florence, grains of paradise, cassia etc. I know that when I see an interestiing recipe for a liquer in one of Wal's posts I often am stymied by some botanical that I don't know. I guess that is part of the fun and makes the hobby educational. I also have wormwood growing in my garden but I wanted to find Roman wormwood. I found a source for a living plant online and picked up a hyssop plant and a fennel of florence plant at my local nusery today. Mean- while I recommend the Prestige absinthe essences. Mix a bottle of the wormwood schnapps and the recommended amount of sugar
      and a bottle of the absinthe essence in 750 ml of alcohol. I think that it's delicious. Rana
      Andrew Forsberg <andrew@...> wrote:Hi Rana,

      Green anise appears to be the more specific name for anise, the herb.
      Star anise coming from the f@#k off big tree. :) It's also supposed to
      have a more subtle flavour than star anise, although lately I've seen
      star anise in little designer pottles with price tags approaching the
      price by weight of gold! God knows why. Perhaps Jamie Oliver used it in
      one of his recent shows.
      http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/gr/green+anise.html

      Check the archives for mail order wormwood, I'm sure someone posted one
      a while back. Google also turned up a few places. For instance:
      http://www.nhg.com/db/1052.htm/
      /If all else fails let me know, I'm certain there was a herbary here in
      NZ that sold them via the internet / mail order.

      I bought a plant from a back-yard nursery just around the corner from
      me. It hasn't grown much over the last couple of years, and isn't
      particularly attractive. Apparently you're not meant to situate it too
      closely to other edible plants. It's not illegal anywhere, afaik, you
      shouldn't have too much difficulty finding one at a herb reseller.

      Cheers
      Andrew

      ranawater wrote:

      >Hope someone can educate me on this. Is green anise just the regular
      >anise seeds as opposed to star anise? Green anise is regularly
      >listed as an ingredient in absinthe. Also, does anyone know of a
      >mailorder source for Roman wormwood (Artemisia pontica) plants?
      >Thanks,.Rana

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Rik
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 4, 2004
        At 02:51 PM 6/4/2004 -0700, Rana wrote:
        >Mean- while I recommend the Prestige absinthe essences. Mix a bottle of
        >the wormwood schnapps and the recommended amount of! sugar and a
        >bottle of the absinthe essence in 750 ml of alcohol. I think that it's
        >delicious.

        The Prestige essence is VERY anise-ey, but has very little wormwood flavor.
        If you follow Dale Pendell's recipe, from his book Pharmako/Poeia--which can
        also be found on Erowid, you will experience a more authentic tasting
        Absinthe.

        Yum! I like them both.

        Rik

      • Rana Pipiens
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
          Rik, I'm planning on trying my own absinthe and have never tasted a commercially made absinthe. When you tried the Prestige did you mix the absinthe essence with a bottle of the wormwood schnapps in the same 750ml batch? That is what Rick Morris of Brewhaus recommended and I really like the taste. I'm a big fan of ouzo, raki, and Pernod. Also, in making my own absinthe, I would like to use wormwood growing in my garden. All recipes call for dry wormwood but I would like fresh and wonder how much fresh equals a specified amount of dry. Anybody out there attempted Chartreuse (sp?) from the recipe in the archives? Rana

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
            At 07:27 AM 6/5/2004 -0700, you wrote:
            >I'm planning on trying my own absinthe and have never tasted a
            >commercially made absinthe. When you tried the Prestige did you mix the
            >absinthe essence with a bottle of the wormwood schnapps in the same 750ml
            >batch?

            What wormwood schnapps is this? No, I mixed it with grain alcohol and
            sugar solution, then diluted with water, as the instructions indicated.

            >Also, in making my own absinthe, I would like to use wormwood growing in
            >my garden.

            I do. I *may* have some of the A. pontica, though I don't believe the
            plants were correctly marked. They look to me
            much more like the "Powis Castle," which is a cross of A. absinthum and A.
            aborescens. I've also got some
            A. absinthum.

            >All recipes call for dry wormwood but I would like fresh and wonder how
            >much fresh equals a specified amount of dry.

            I dry mine out in the gas oven, with only the pilot light, for a couple of
            days, then use immediately.
            I don't believe I lose anything by doing this. In the macerations, I
            recommend that you use alcohol
            as close to 190 proof as you can get, and dry herbs. The less water that
            you can have in there,
            the better. I've found that water extracts things that cause off-flavors
            in the Absinthe. I'll rinse the
            herbs from the first maceration with water, after squeezing out the
            alcohol. This gets a bit more of
            the alcohol out of the marc--you also need some water in the wash. Never
            do this with the final
            maceration, just squeeze as best you can.

            The biggest problem in making Absinthe is squeezing the liquid out of the
            herbs. I'm going to make
            a press of some kind, but haven't figured out quite what. I found a
            little, stainless, herb press on the net,
            that looks like it could hold enough herbs for a couple of bottles, but
            they wanted over US$350 for it!!

            I've found http://www.wellnaturally.com/ to be a good (inexpen$ive) source
            for bulk herbs.

            Rik
          • Rana Pipiens
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
              rik, That's Prestige wormwood schnapps. I was told that the absinthe essence was absinthe without the the wormwood and that the schnapps essence contains the wormwood. The mixture of the essences with the sugar and alcohol produces a drink with a sweet anise taste with a tasty bitter undertone. Like I said, I've never had absinthe before but this has the taste of some of the Scandanavian semisweet licorice or Pernod. If you try it let me know how it compares with the expensive commercial stuff. Also thanks for the site for herbs and the suggestions for using the homegrown wormwood. Rana

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
                At 12:34 PM 6/5/2004 -0700, Rana wrote:
                >That's Prestige wormwood schnapps.

                They didn't have any of that, back when I tried their Absinthe extract.
                People must have complained of the lack of wormwood.

                >I was told that the absinthe essence was absinthe without the the
                >wormwood and that the schnapps essence contains the wormwood.

                Absinthe without wormwood, is like a hamburger without beef.

                >Like I said, I've never had absinthe before but this has the taste of some of
                >the Scandanavian semisweet licorice or Pernod.

                Well, Pernod IS the original Absinthe. They just left out the hallmark
                ingredient,
                after the ban, at the turn of the last century. They set up a factory in
                Spain,
                at that time, since Absinthe had not been banned there, and continued to make
                the original recipe.

                >If you try it let me know how it compares with the expensive commercial
                >stuff.

                I just bought the extract for sh!ts-and-giggles, to see if the stuff even
                came close.
                I don't think it does (though with the "wormwood schnapps", it might). I'd
                rather
                do it the hard and authentic way. Extracts seem to me, to be for lazy,
                partyin' dudes,
                not stuck-up conny-sewers like me.

                8o)

                Rik
              • Rutger Amons
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
                  How do you guys keep your stills nice and shimy? If i look at the pictures there are all shining red copper stills.
                  After one distillation my still get all brown. I am looking for something to keep it shiny for a long time.

                  RUtger
                • MB
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
                    If you are truly interested in making real absinthe, I would first
                    suggest going to www.feeverte.net where just about anything
                    regarding absinthe can be found. At Fee Verte, there are the real
                    recipes for making distilled absinthe. Most of what is on the web
                    regarding absinthe is erroneous information (i.e., Erowid, any Czech
                    website, etc.). Another good source (if you can get past the smart-
                    assed remarks of the members)is www.louchedlounge.com
                    Many of the members are experienced home distillers of absinthe.
                    Using products such as the Gert Stand essences will not make
                    anything remotely close to genuine distilled absinthe, as it was
                    made in the Belle Epoque.
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rik <nisse@c...> wrote:
                    > At 12:34 PM 6/5/2004 -0700, Rana wrote:
                    > >That's Prestige wormwood schnapps.
                    >
                    > They didn't have any of that, back when I tried their Absinthe
                    extract.
                    > People must have complained of the lack of wormwood.
                    >
                    > >I was told that the absinthe essence was absinthe without the the
                    > >wormwood and that the schnapps essence contains the wormwood.
                    >
                    > Absinthe without wormwood, is like a hamburger without beef.
                    >
                    > >Like I said, I've never had absinthe before but this has the
                    taste of some of
                    > >the Scandanavian semisweet licorice or Pernod.
                    >
                    > Well, Pernod IS the original Absinthe. They just left out the
                    hallmark
                    > ingredient,
                    > after the ban, at the turn of the last century. They set up a
                    factory in
                    > Spain,
                    > at that time, since Absinthe had not been banned there, and
                    continued to make
                    > the original recipe.
                    >
                    > >If you try it let me know how it compares with the expensive
                    commercial
                    > >stuff.
                    >
                    > I just bought the extract for sh!ts-and-giggles, to see if the
                    stuff even
                    > came close.
                    > I don't think it does (though with the "wormwood schnapps", it
                    might). I'd
                    > rather
                    > do it the hard and authentic way. Extracts seem to me, to be for
                    lazy,
                    > partyin' dudes,
                    > not stuck-up conny-sewers like me.
                    >
                    > 8o)
                    >
                    > Rik
                  • Maxime Belair
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
                      Hi,

                      Me too I asked me the same question when I looked
                      at the pictures. May be almost everyone simply
                      cleaned their still just before taking the pictures...

                      Maxime Belair

                      ---------------------------------
                      How do you guys keep your stills nice and shimy? If i
                      look at the pictures there are all shining red copper
                      stills.
                      After one distillation my still get all brown. I am
                      looking for something to keep it shiny for a long
                      time.

                      RUtger

                      Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
                      magasinage.yahoo.ca
                    • BOKAKOB
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 5, 2004
                        from outside you could just cover it with clear polyurethane lacquer after buffing it with steel wool. i would not do that, mine looks as you said "brown."

                        Whatever I wrote above is my subjective opinion
                        There are no warranties of any kind
                        Act on your own risk and finally...
                        I can be wrong I must say
                        Cheers, Alex...

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 6, 2004
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rutger Amons" <rutger@a...>
                          wrote:
                          > How do you guys keep your stills nice and shimy? If i look at the
                          pictures there are all shining red copper stills.
                          > After one distillation my still get all brown. I am looking for
                          something to keep it shiny for a long time.

                          > RUtger

                          Benzotriazole or a preservative based on benzotriazole works for the
                          outside (and inside when in storage). Vinegar and a flush for the
                          inside before use.
                          http://www.metalprotection.com/benzotriazole.htm

                          or...

                          Polish the copper with a cleaner such as the recipe below, then
                          wipe it all over with paint thinner, being careful not to put
                          fingerprints or smudges on it. Spray the outside with a coat of
                          Krylon Clear Enamel. Keeps the copper shiny and lasts for several
                          vears.

                          Recipe
                          Home-made Copper Polish:

                          1. Combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup table salt and 1/2
                          cup powdered laundry detergent.

                          2. Stir in 3/4 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup
                          very warm water.

                          3. Dab a little bit of this mixture on the brass or copper surface
                          with a clean, dry cloth and rub gently in a circular motion.

                          4. Rinse with cool water. Dry and buff to a shine with a soft
                          cotton rag or a lambswool buffing pad on an electric drill/sander.

                        • tmdellinger
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 6, 2004
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rutger Amons" <rutger@a...> wrote:
                            > How do you guys keep your stills nice and shimy? If i look at the
                            pictures there are all shining red copper stills.
                            > After one distillation my still get all brown. I am looking for
                            something to keep it shiny for a long time.

                            I have heard that in Scotland, the distilleries will acid
                            wash the stills and then put a coat of lacquer on them.
                            I'm not sure if it's definitely lacquer, or if it's some
                            other similar coating, but that's how they keep them looking good.

                            Tim Dellinger
                          • the1foy
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 6, 2004
                              That being said, discussion is MUCH more guarded than around here
                              (and in this one regard, MUCH more accurate), so use discretion and
                              common sense if posting at the Lounge, don't even try at Fee Verte.
                              For most people here, I would advise just reading the archives.

                              > If you are truly interested in making real absinthe, I would first
                              > suggest going to www.feeverte.net where just about anything
                              > regarding absinthe can be found. At Fee Verte, there are the real
                              > recipes for making distilled absinthe. Most of what is on the web
                              > regarding absinthe is erroneous information (i.e., Erowid, any
                              Czech
                              > website, etc.). Another good source (if you can get past the smart-
                              > assed remarks of the members)is www.louchedlounge.com
                              > Many of the members are experienced home distillers of absinthe.
                              > Using products such as the Gert Stand essences will not make
                              > anything remotely close to genuine distilled absinthe, as it was
                              > made in the Belle Epoque.
                            • Sven Pfitt
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 7, 2004
                                If you go to La FeeVerte, don't post questions about distilling.
                                Appearantly, there was an issue with someone there getting busted and
                                they don't allow discussion any more.

                                On the other hand, there is lots of informationin the archive that
                                you will spend months if not years searching for at other sites.

                                LoucheDlounge does not have much archival information because of a
                                dictitorial overthrow of the older louchelounge site.

                                They tend to be rough around the edges, but have lots of ,knowledge.

                                Erowid and other such sites that talk about herbal tenctures (soaking
                                herbs in vodka, etc) aren't worth the time to visit them.

                                Sven

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "the1foy" <the1foy@y...> wrote:
                                > That being said, discussion is MUCH more guarded than around here
                                > (and in this one regard, MUCH more accurate), so use discretion and
                                > common sense if posting at the Lounge, don't even try at Fee
                                Verte.
                                ...snip...
                              • toddk63
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 9, 2004
                                  Check out the folder "Absinthe" in the Files here. It has some
                                  clippings from the older site as well as from other sources. It was
                                  my attempt to archive this valuable information in case these websites
                                  disappeared (as they apparently do from time to time). Organization
                                  of the text is loose but the info is there.

                                  Todd K.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 9, 2004
                                    I always meant to thank you for that.

                                    So, thanks.