top shelf essence

  • glennnat@southwest.com.au
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2001
      Can someone tell me how the top shelf finest reserve scotch whiskey
      compares to the rest of the classic style flavours??
    • meads
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 11, 2001
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2001
          One of the problems with the T/S Finest Reserve Whisky, is that it takes a
          bit of time to develope.It is also best to use a slightly stronger spirit,
          say 43-45%, and dilute it later.I made the mistake of drinking mine a bit
          early, and it was'nt up to scratch. The next one i make i will leave it
          longer.As far as the haze at the bottom goes, try filtering the product thru
          a coffee filter to remove the haze. I gather the haze is formed by one of
          the additives that is necessary for flavour and nothing else, so the removal
          of this part results in an inferior taste. Still Spirits are working on the
          problem.
          regards Pete

          > Can someone tell me how the top shelf finest reserve scotch whiskey
          > compares to the rest of the classic style flavours??
          >

          > My experence of this essence is not good. Actually went very cloudy with
          something that looks very much like dirt settling to the bottom!!. Have
          tried it twice with the same result. There was a leaflet issued by the
          manufacturer afterwards which acknowleged a problem and suggested only
          adding essence at cold temps. etc but I could'nt get a good result. Flavour
          is interesting though, very peaty.

        • G&N
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2001
            Ah well ..i have ordered some now so i will have to try it for myself ..i
            will leave it for a long time ...how do you guy like the Top Shelve Kentucky
            Bourbon ?...everyone that i know that trys it just think its the best drink
            even the non bourbon drinkers.

            Regards Glenn

            > One of the problems with the T/S Finest Reserve Whisky, is that it takes a
            > bit of time to develope.It is also best to use a slightly stronger spirit,
            > say 43-45%, and dilute it later.I made the mistake of drinking mine a bit
            > early, and it was'nt up to scratch. The next one i make i will leave it
            > longer.As far as the haze at the bottom goes, try filtering the product
            thru
            > a coffee filter to remove the haze. I gather the haze is formed by one of
            > the additives that is necessary for flavour and nothing else, so the
            removal
            > of this part results in an inferior taste. Still Spirits are working on
            the
            > problem.
            > regards Pete

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Gary Gluyas
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
              Hello All

              We have received quite a good response to the Classic Finest Reserve
              Scotch.

              I have made up several batches of the stuff, and have not yet encountered
              any of the cloudiness problems that many others have.

              Some suggestions:

              Your base spirit MUST be a minimum of 40%

              Do not shake the sachet of essence - simply snip the top and empty into
              your spirit - leave all sediment behind.

              Try it and see how you go

              Cheers

              Kiwi Gary
              gluyas@...
              www.pbsltd.co.nz
              From: glennnat@...
              To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wednesday, 11 April 2001 17:55

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2001
                How does the Gold medal essences stand up to them ..specially the bodines
                bourbon and Glen darrock whiskey?