Re: U.K. - Wine World FDW

  • vojeto
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
      it is illegal to use it to make--- In
      Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > How A Still Works
      > http://www.wineworldfdw.com/how_a_still_works.html
      >
      > The freezer system of increasing alcohol
      > http://www.wineworldfdw.com/freezer_system.html

      Wal

      This is a strange kind of site, at least with respect to distilling.
      I'd appreciate other peoples comments. The writer seems to have any
      information he can find, and uncritically repeated it. E.g.

      "You hear talk of people going blind drinking alcohol, hence the
      expression blind drunk. This can occur when you are distilling from
      wood grain like whisky, true these types of alcohol can cause
      blindness. Fruit, leaves, Potatoes, will do no more harm than bought
      spirits."

      Que? Is this right? I didn't think grain based alcohol produced
      significantly more methanol than other bases. As to going blind
      because of drinking distilled grain-based alcohol, I thought this
      idea had been put to rest ages ago.

      Also, has anyone tried this tip from the site?

      "This next tip you won't find in many books, most branded liqueurs
      bought today are about 20% Vol., but if you wish to fool people that
      it is nearer 40% add 4 - 8 drops of Capsicum Tincture B.P.C. to one
      bottle of wine. It is not expensive and can be ordered from your
      Chemist, buy the smallest quantity they will sell you. Lastly if it
      is a dry wine, stir in caster sugar to taste."

      Why would you *want* to fool somoeone into thinking 20% liqueur was
      closer to 40%, anyway?

      Please don't take this as a criticism of your research and postings,
      Wal - I for one value them highly.

      Cheers
      JRae