Oak chips

  • glennnat@southwest.com.au
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 10:51 PM
      I just purchased some american oak chips and if i soak them in 40%
      neutral spirit which someone that i know has done,what sort of
      flavour will this give it...is it enough to make it a good drink with
      time??....the colour that the spirit has gone is amazing in only a
      week...one packet in about 8 litres of spirit
    • meads
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11 2:49 AM
        > I just purchased some american oak chips and if i soak them in 40%
        > neutral spirit which someone that i know has done,what sort of
        > flavour will this give it...is it enough to make it a good drink with
        > time??....the colour that the spirit has gone is amazing in only a
        > week...one packet in about 8 litres of spirit

        >This will give an excellent whiskey style drink. Should be good to filter
        off in about 3 weeks but I have left some for up to 6 months with good
        results. Chips work a lot faster than a barrel because of the large surface
        area in contact with a small amount of spirit.

        cheers,
        Gordon.
      • Thomas Hart
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11 10:38 AM
          Greetings-

          The true oak character in good old American whiskey comes not simply from
          American oak, but oak that has been charred. Oak chips have not gone
          through this important process and therefore, while they will give a woody
          flavor, they will not give the other characters we all love. I like to buy
          a board of American White Oak and cut it into small stacks. I then place
          them in a metal container with a tight sealing lid (like a clean paint can)
          and then heat the can. I do this to the point where I have charred the
          outsides of the sticks. This promotes the vanillins and so forth in the
          wood, at least that is what I believe! I then place these charred sticks in
          my liquor and let them work there magic.

          I also have found that I am happier with my end results if I make it our of
          a mash with corn, malted barley and rye (or wheat). I also run this out of
          my reflux to equate about 2 1/2 distillations in a pot still.

          For interesting reading check out the Whiskey Pages of the Malt Advocate at
          http://www.whiskeypages.com

          Have fun and enjoy the fruits of your labors!

          Peace-
          the Stillpastor

          PS You can't rush whiskey and expect it to be as good as the real thing.
          If you could the big guys wouldn't bother doing what they do.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2003
            Homedistillers usually use oak chips. So do winemakers to save money!
            There is an interesting article on chips at
            http://www.winebusiness.com
            Click on - WB Monthly
            In Search by Keyword type in Volume 8, Number 11 or November 05, 2001
            or 'Recent Research on Barrels and Alternatives'.

            some other articles:
            Heart of Oak
            http://www.whisky-world.com/magazine/index.php?story=174
            The Bourbon Barrel,...
            http://www.realbeer.com/maltadvocate/S95/S95COWDR.html
            Wooden it be Lovely?
            http://www.winemakermag.com/feature/111.html
            The Composition of Oak
            http://www.cooperage.com/pdf_whtpapers/97symp_comp_oak.pdf
            http://www.cooperage.com/

            Wal
          • Matt SF
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2003
              On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:37:18AM -0000, waljaco wrote:
              > The Composition of Oak
              > http://www.cooperage.com/pdf_whtpapers/97symp_comp_oak.pdf

              hey Wal some good links there but I think the paper on oak char and
              chemistry has been missing from the cooperage site for a while. Actually
              their whole site seems to be gone, too. I think they're operating at
              www.worldcooperage.com these days.

              I just uploaded it to the Files section (our 20 megs are almost gone :-)
              as a zip file to save as much space as possible. Look for the file
              97symp_comp_oak.zip.