Alcohol % and sugar.

  • lapsnuit
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
      Advise wanted please,

      Regulations force me to create liquor that is only allowed a
      deviation in alcohol % with 0.3%

      Measuring alcohol in whisky, wodka and gin is piece of cake with
      a calibrated alcoholmeter.

      When it comes to sugared liquors it's becoming a different story,
      you will require a trial destillation to determine the alcohol
      content.

      This trial destillation is done with the "Famous Alkodest" and is a
      bit of a pain.

      I have now ordered a big volumetric flask and some smaller ones to
      do the following: I'll take 2 liter of alcohol (96.2 certified)
      This I'll fill up with 3 liters of a mixture of water, sugar and
      concentrate. So I'll have 5 liter in total containing 1924 ml
      alcohol. I think this is 38.48 % Alc by vol.

      If I make calculations this way I can avoid the Alkodest.
      Does anybody see any problem with this ?

      Thanks
    • stevolate
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
        Hi
        I believe you will be correct as your 2 litres of 96.2% is 1924 mill
        of 100%.
        2000 multiplied by 96.2 divided by 100 = 1924 mill of 100%
        Then 1924 mill divided by 5000 multiplied by 100 = 38.48%

        Stevo

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lapsnuit" <lapsnuit@y...> wrote:
        > Advise wanted please,
        >
        > Regulations force me to create liquor that is only allowed a
        > deviation in alcohol % with 0.3%
        >
        > Measuring alcohol in whisky, wodka and gin is piece of cake with
        > a calibrated alcoholmeter.
        >
        > When it comes to sugared liquors it's becoming a different story,
        > you will require a trial destillation to determine the alcohol
        > content.
        >
        > This trial destillation is done with the "Famous Alkodest" and is a
        > bit of a pain.
        >
        > I have now ordered a big volumetric flask and some smaller ones to
        > do the following: I'll take 2 liter of alcohol (96.2 certified)
        > This I'll fill up with 3 liters of a mixture of water, sugar and
        > concentrate. So I'll have 5 liter in total containing 1924 ml
        > alcohol. I think this is 38.48 % Alc by vol.
        >
        > If I make calculations this way I can avoid the Alkodest.
        > Does anybody see any problem with this ?
        >
        > Thanks
      • Erikstill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
          Yes:
          If you take 1 liter of alcohol and 1 liter of water and mix, the result is less then 2 liter.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor