Re: [Distillers] Control the temp at boiler or head

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      David,
      It is not an either or situation.
      You need to be able to control heat input (dimmer) at the boiler end of the
      operation and condensation at the condensor end of the operation. It is
      the balance that is important. The thermometer is your friend.
      I use a digital thermometer with remote and alarm at the head (about) one
      inch under the takeoff below the condensor, and a variac type voltage
      regulator inline with the 120 volt 1500 watt heater element.
      I got my variac on ebay for about $22. It is amazingly accurate. Mine is
      only a 10 amp job, but, that's okay. It is out of the circuit during heat
      up. Then when my thermometer says GO and I"ve turned on the condensor flow
      and am getting spirit I would cut off the 220 volt 3000 watt heater and
      insert the variac into the one to the 120 volt heater so that it's wattage
      is where I want it (say 500-750 watts). The thermometer will tell you what
      is right for your process. My goal would be maximize the purity of the
      product plus use as little electricity and water as possible.
      Clearly the amount of input of heat and water etc. will be dependent on
      your particular still, the wash you have produced and the product that you
      desire to get at output. The height of your column, the number of
      scrubbers etc. will also play a role.
      Enjoy.
      At 06:31 AM 02/06/2004, you wrote:
      >Hi all,
      >
      > I'm in the way to mount a still, my column will be 4 feet X
      >2 inches, packed with scrubbers, plastic boiler 25L with an 1500
      >watts element.
      > I'm wondering what is the best between, controling the boil
      >with a dimmer or a coil at the head.
      >
      > Your comments will be appreciate, Thanks.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • lalla23452000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "andrak567" <andrak567@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm in the way to mount a still, my column will be 4 feet
        > 2 inches, packed with scrubbers, plastic boiler 25L with an 1500
        > watts element.
        > I'm wondering what is the best between, controling the
        boil
        > with a dimmer or a coil at the head.
        >
        > Your comments will be appreciate, Thanks.

        I use a reflux coil above the outtake, and a valve to control he
        outtake. In that way I control the reflux and I don't have to mess
        with the power. The temperatur will rise using low reflux, and
        decrease if the reflux is large.

        Greeting Lalla