Control the temp at boiler or head

  • andrak567
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hi all,

      I'm in the way to mount a still, my column will be 4 feet X
      2 inches, packed with scrubbers, plastic boiler 25L with an 1500
      watts element.
      I'm wondering what is the best between, controling the boil
      with a dimmer or a coil at the head.

      Your comments will be appreciate, Thanks.
    • David
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        I use a lutron c-1500 dimmer switch. 1500w dimmer. I run it wide open
        until I start getting spirit, then I cut it back about a quarter
        turn. I am very pleased with the results. You can sometimes find them
        very cheap on ebay. I payed $25.00 american for mine.
      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          David,
          It is not an either or situation.
          You need to be able to control heat input (dimmer) at the boiler end of the
          operation and condensation at the condensor end of the operation. It is
          the balance that is important. The thermometer is your friend.
          I use a digital thermometer with remote and alarm at the head (about) one
          inch under the takeoff below the condensor, and a variac type voltage
          regulator inline with the 120 volt 1500 watt heater element.
          I got my variac on ebay for about $22. It is amazingly accurate. Mine is
          only a 10 amp job, but, that's okay. It is out of the circuit during heat
          up. Then when my thermometer says GO and I"ve turned on the condensor flow
          and am getting spirit I would cut off the 220 volt 3000 watt heater and
          insert the variac into the one to the 120 volt heater so that it's wattage
          is where I want it (say 500-750 watts). The thermometer will tell you what
          is right for your process. My goal would be maximize the purity of the
          product plus use as little electricity and water as possible.
          Clearly the amount of input of heat and water etc. will be dependent on
          your particular still, the wash you have produced and the product that you
          desire to get at output. The height of your column, the number of
          scrubbers etc. will also play a role.
          Enjoy.
          At 06:31 AM 02/06/2004, you wrote:
          >Hi all,
          >
          > I'm in the way to mount a still, my column will be 4 feet X
          >2 inches, packed with scrubbers, plastic boiler 25L with an 1500
          >watts element.
          > I'm wondering what is the best between, controling the boil
          >with a dimmer or a coil at the head.
          >
          > Your comments will be appreciate, Thanks.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Derek Hamlet
          Victoria, B.C.
        • lalla23452000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "andrak567" <andrak567@y...>
            wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm in the way to mount a still, my column will be 4 feet
            > 2 inches, packed with scrubbers, plastic boiler 25L with an 1500
            > watts element.
            > I'm wondering what is the best between, controling the
            boil
            > with a dimmer or a coil at the head.
            >
            > Your comments will be appreciate, Thanks.

            I use a reflux coil above the outtake, and a valve to control he
            outtake. In that way I control the reflux and I don't have to mess
            with the power. The temperatur will rise using low reflux, and
            decrease if the reflux is large.

            Greeting Lalla