Re: Has any one ever had a boil over/vapour flashover accident (they can share)?
- I'd be trying to figure out why I'm getting so many fumes and try and
stop it. Condenser might not be able to handle the load. does your
spirit sputter out the end of your condenser? If it does, then thats
not good either.
- One time I was doing the final run in my shed collecting 96% at a
steady rate... I decided to measure the output per minute so as per
usual I swapped the collection jar for a graduated collection jar.
While in the middle of this process I knocked the collection jar off
its stand and onto the floor probably no more that 12 inches away
from my gas stove heating the still... There was about a 2 second
hesitation then I ran outside and collected the bucket of water
collecting waste cooling water. Luckily it didn't flash and I was
able to water down the alcohol.
What did I learn?? Never have your collection jar sitting on 3 milk
** Don't worry I only lost about 400ml.. :)
- When most gas stations were full service and I saw many people smoke
at the pump. One was smokeing and you could see the fumes or vapor
wave hit the attendand but he didn't flash fire. It is not leagal to
smoke and pump gas anymore.
I used to watch a lot of auto raceing. The cars are much safer now
but a lot of cars would burst into flames in a crash.
A fire will not happen very often but one time could be too many.
--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
> I've been here a while and hear of people warning of flammable
> vapour but am wondering just how much of a risk it is? Many a time Ispluttering
> have woken up after setting my still to run to find my still
> away and venting gases to atmosphere with my place smelling ofalcohol
> fumes and other nasty smells. So I get out of bed and turn down theAnyway,
> flame on my portable gas camp stove I use for heating the wash in my
> boiler. Not sure why but I usually have a hard time keeping it going
> when I turn it down. It keeps spluttering and wanting to go out.
> I put an incense candle on and open my windows up to get rid of theopen
> smell (the camp stove keeps my room nice and warm when it's cold
> outside). I usually feel a bit light headed until I get the windows
> probably due to all the alcohol in the air. I then grab a mop andbucket
> to mop up the excess ethanol that's usually dripped out of theboiler
> joins and output lines all over the lino. Luckily most of it isusually
> soaked up already by the rags I use for stripping down my petrolpowered
> model cars that I set in a close circle around the camp stove justin
> case of a spillage so the job isn't too hard to get done quickly.full
> I guess my question is even though my safety procedures are pretty
> on (I set my alarm clock for 11 am at the latest) and many othersfrom
> probably have worse safety practices has anyone had any accidents
> spillages/vapour ignition they can recall or care to share abouttheir
> hobby?due to
> Leigh ;)
> The above comments may not depict real circumstances and any
> circumstances depicted that resemble the truth have been omitted
> highly technical operational secrets. AND FOR CHRISTS SAKE, excusemy
> language, DON'T TAKE THAT AS A GUIDE ON HOW TO RUN YOUR STILL!!!