Re: Has any one ever had a boil over/vapour flashover accident (they can share)?

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      I'd be trying to figure out why I'm getting so many fumes and try and
      stop it. Condenser might not be able to handle the load. does your
      spirit sputter out the end of your condenser? If it does, then thats
      not good either.
    • watertrade2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        One time I was doing the final run in my shed collecting 96% at a
        steady rate... I decided to measure the output per minute so as per
        usual I swapped the collection jar for a graduated collection jar.
        While in the middle of this process I knocked the collection jar off
        its stand and onto the floor probably no more that 12 inches away
        from my gas stove heating the still... There was about a 2 second
        hesitation then I ran outside and collected the bucket of water
        collecting waste cooling water. Luckily it didn't flash and I was
        able to water down the alcohol.

        What did I learn?? – Never have your collection jar sitting on 3 milk
        crates…

        Jim
        ** Don't worry I only lost about 400ml.. :)
      • reuel369
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
          When most gas stations were full service and I saw many people smoke
          at the pump. One was smokeing and you could see the fumes or vapor
          wave hit the attendand but he didn't flash fire. It is not leagal to
          smoke and pump gas anymore.

          I used to watch a lot of auto raceing. The cars are much safer now
          but a lot of cars would burst into flames in a crash.

          A fire will not happen very often but one time could be too many.

          Be safe.
          Reuel

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
          <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@w...> wrote:
          > Howdy,
          > I've been here a while and hear of people warning of flammable
          ethanol
          > vapour but am wondering just how much of a risk it is? Many a time I
          > have woken up after setting my still to run to find my still
          spluttering
          > away and venting gases to atmosphere with my place smelling of
          alcohol
          > fumes and other nasty smells. So I get out of bed and turn down the
          > flame on my portable gas camp stove I use for heating the wash in my
          > boiler. Not sure why but I usually have a hard time keeping it going
          > when I turn it down. It keeps spluttering and wanting to go out.
          Anyway,