Re: Yet another! air cooled still idea...

  • watertrade2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Riku and Robert,
      Thank you both for your replies…

      *SNIP*> Hi Jim am I correct to assume what you are trying to do is
      increase the size of your top condenser so that it can cool the
      distillate vapour to a liquid state.*SNIP* --> kind of, its more
      like another condenser sitting on top of the column - so I could
      effectively stop using the reflux condenser by cutting the water
      flow down.

      I have tuned my current reflux condenser to run on very little water
      to the extent the wastewater runs very hot with no vapour escaping
      the column – I feel I have got as much as possible from just a
      standard condenser… (This very little water adds up over the space
      of a 10-hour run!) as for power input I couldn't really tell you how
      much energy I'm putting in as I'm probably one of the last dinosaurs
      still using gas. I did work it out a while ago but I have since
      forgotten – I run at `That' heat setting and collect at about 8 or 9
      ml a minute - I get very clean cuts and product – I could probably
      run a lot quicker and still get a good product I just haven't put it
      to the test. Since I figured out what I was aiming for I have never
      had any variation in the product.

      I have almost given in to the idea of pumping water through a car
      radiator into a storage tank etc – I even searched out a good pump
      (from a hydroponics supplier) that should do the trick – I just have
      a feeling there must be a better way!! A much more complicated….
      and probably more expensive way!! Just kidding… I think I will go
      with the longer length of pipe – using Riku's tests of 2 meters of
      convector pipe with water @1600w those figures sound pretty
      reasonable – I doubt I run at much higher than this anyway – Riku
      how was the convector pipes setup?? Horizontal, in a single
      length?

      What I'm imagining is lengths of 50cm convector pipe set up in some
      sort of gang that would receive vapour equally and of course work
      perfectly ;) – however… in reality I can see this would be very
      hard to arrange. I'm getting into the physical dynamics of vapour
      (chimney effects etc) which is beyond me at this stage….
      Although… if the vapour is diverted into a larger baffled chamber
      the vapour could then enter individual convector pipes at the same
      rate… Hmmmm I better go give this some more thought!!

      Thank you both for your feedback.. I will keep the group up to
      date with what I stumble across…

      Robert, I will probably, sooner or later be asking your advice on
      the pumping setup!! ;)

      If we are dealing with straight lengths of 22mm convector, there
      would be enough room to carefully insert rolled up pieces of amphora
      mesh into the pipe?

      Cheers
      Jim
    • watertrade2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        Riku,
        I forgot that you have already been through this whole thing
        before... :)

        so can anyone help me find a local source to australia where I can
        find the following type of product

        http://www.retherm.se/html/konvektorror.html

        Jim
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          Yeah, it was set up as a potstill, 2 meters pipe going slightly
          downwards from the boiler. In a similar fashion you could set the
          pipe on slight upwards angle and cut it into two pieces (with proper
          mass distribution) connected together in zig-zag pattern. Add a
          support structure and you have a nice low ambient cooling condenser
          on top of the column.

          Or you can have it straight up and use a fan and a shroud to push air
          through it (room permitting).

          I found my pipe at a mobile home shop. They are used as heating
          radiators inside the mobile home.

          Good luck, and let us know what you build.

          Greetz, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "watertrade2003" <james1@w...>