U.K. - Wine World FDW

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      How A Still Works
      http://www.wineworldfdw.com/how_a_still_works.html

      The freezer system of increasing alcohol
      http://www.wineworldfdw.com/freezer_system.html

      wal
      "I must remind everyone that in the UK, it is legal to own a still,
      but it is illegal to use it to make alcohol."
    • vojeto
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        it is illegal to use it to make--- In
        Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
        > How A Still Works
        > http://www.wineworldfdw.com/how_a_still_works.html
        >
        > The freezer system of increasing alcohol
        > http://www.wineworldfdw.com/freezer_system.html

        Wal

        This is a strange kind of site, at least with respect to distilling.
        I'd appreciate other peoples comments. The writer seems to have any
        information he can find, and uncritically repeated it. E.g.

        "You hear talk of people going blind drinking alcohol, hence the
        expression blind drunk. This can occur when you are distilling from
        wood grain like whisky, true these types of alcohol can cause
        blindness. Fruit, leaves, Potatoes, will do no more harm than bought
        spirits."

        Que? Is this right? I didn't think grain based alcohol produced
        significantly more methanol than other bases. As to going blind
        because of drinking distilled grain-based alcohol, I thought this
        idea had been put to rest ages ago.

        Also, has anyone tried this tip from the site?

        "This next tip you won't find in many books, most branded liqueurs
        bought today are about 20% Vol., but if you wish to fool people that
        it is nearer 40% add 4 - 8 drops of Capsicum Tincture B.P.C. to one
        bottle of wine. It is not expensive and can be ordered from your
        Chemist, buy the smallest quantity they will sell you. Lastly if it
        is a dry wine, stir in caster sugar to taste."

        Why would you *want* to fool somoeone into thinking 20% liqueur was
        closer to 40%, anyway?

        Please don't take this as a criticism of your research and postings,
        Wal - I for one value them highly.

        Cheers
        JRae