Re: How to remove spear valve from keg

  • Brain Solenoid
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2004
      David,

      Actually, yes, there is a tool........a couple as a matter of fact.
      One tool depresses the the valve core assembly onto it's gasket/o-ring
      in order to take pressure off the split ring. It looks a lot like a
      gear puller, and costs about $75 US from a keg supplier.

      There is also a flat pick, as it were, that is the width of the split
      ring that you would use to pry it out. I have done this a lot of
      times to replace leaking Sankey valve cores. Of course, you vent the
      keg pressure first or you might end up spitting some teeth if it
      breaks loose from the pressure. In fact, I have quite a few new
      assemblies in the next room from where I am right now.

      Removing the split ring allows you to then turn the valve assembly to
      remove it.

      What I used to do when I was just a little Brewer was to lean over the
      keg with a tee made from two 2x4s. The end of one was cut to allow
      teh end to fit down inside the coupler portion of the valve. I would
      put my weight on the tee with my chest, which would dpress the valve
      core from the o-ring. Using a probe (a narrow icepick), I would pry
      out the split ring. Needle nose plyers helped as well.

      Use a hand beer pump to take any pressure or stale beer out of the keg
      prior to doing this.

      Regards,
      BS