Modify 'stillmaker' for pot stilling?

  • Sam Ley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2004
      I've read some discussions on using a standard refluxing still for pot stilling, but most of
      them seem to revolve around simply leaving out the packing and insulating the column to
      limit refluxing. I've got an internal reflux 'stillmaker' still mostly complete (I wish I'd found
      this forum sooner, I'd probably have chosen a different design). I did have the foresight to
      move the bottom refluxing cooler to the top, so all the reflux cooling occurs above the
      packing.

      Anyway, I posted this picture (assuming this link works, if it doesn't go into the Photos
      section of the group, and click on 'modified stillmaker pot still.gif' in the 'experimental
      drawings' folder):

      Experimental+Drawings&.dnm=Modified+Stillmaker+pot+still.gif&.src=gr&.view=t&.hires
      =t

      The idea is that if I leave the reflux tower unsoldered from the head and condensor, and
      make the connection between the copper tubes penetrating the tower and the condensor
      disconnectable (by using flexible tubing), then by using a 45 degree elbow and two 2"
      copper nipples, I could convert into a more traditional looking pot still. There would still
      be some reflux, but far less than even the reflux tower with the packing removed.

      My big question is for the pot still experts... Is 45 degrees too steep for the condensor? Or
      is the curve up and then back down again acceptable to produce the small amount of
      natural refluxing that a pot still requires? I chose that 45 degree angle because those
      adapters are easily available, but if another angle would be better, some custom bent pipe
      could be used.

      So anyway, please give me your thoughts on this. I'm trying to 'future proof' this still as
      much as I can while building it, and I would love to leave in the option of pot stilling for
      bourbon and schnapps in the future.

      Peace,
      Sam