Re: why my amazing still sucks??

  • bradpk2002
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2004
      > > my amazing still suck! i dont know why but i can only make 1/4 of
      > a L
      > > a day. And to top that off it is only at 50 to 70 proof (25% to
      > 35%).
      > > can anybody tell my why so low of proof????

      This method is slow, clean & easy to do. My thermometer is set at 110
      to 112 degreees F. Couldnt get the damn thing to go any higher. My
      wash finished at 17%....could have been a little better.
      Anyway....I get 1/4 liter a day.....1st liter is 54%,
      2nd is 42%, next 500 ml is 36% and last 500 ml I think was 24%. I
      use about a 12 gallon bucket for my external bucket, inside I place a
      3 gallon bucket inside of a 5 gallon bucket. Fits neat and snug and
      only the top couple inches of the inner bucket is exposed. It slids
      down into the 5 gallon one and rests on the ring around the 3 gallon
      one. Try it and you will see what I am trying to tell you. Use the
      improved method on the bucket meaning cutting the 2 holes like they
      described and put the lid on the 3 gallon one. I use no insulation
      other than the 5 gallon bucket that it sits in. Sit this in the
      bottom of the big bucket, I use nothing in the bottom.....just sit it
      in the bottom of the big bucket ....I have drilled a hole in the very
      bottom edge of the big bucket and siliconed a tube running my output
      down into a 2 liter mason jar. A hole is punched in the mason jar lid
      so the tube fits snugly in. You of course have to sit your setup
      above the mason jar so it will run down. I use a 1 inch block of wood
      under the corner of the setup to get it slightly tilted so the stuff
      stays run out. Now the trick that I think makes it work!!!
      I freeze 8 2 liter soft drink bottles full of water in the deep
      freeze. i keep 2 of these on the lid of the setup and cover it with a
      towel to insulated them. I Put 2 on it at 6 am before I leave for
      work. Replace them with 2 froze ones at 5 pm and 2 more before I go
      to bed. They never get a chance to completely thaw out and by having
      8 of em in the freezer I always have a frozen solid one to put on
      there.
      I end up with 3 liters of 40% and dump the last weaker stuff I
      used to dilute the higher first 2 in the next batch to distill
      again. I will probably make some 20% fruity shots out of the last
      750 ml next time. Hope this helps you get what you need.
      Brad