Re: Pressure Relief Valves

  • Grayson Stewart
    Message 1 of 19 , May 29 7:50 PM
      You guys just had to start the pressure relief valve topic as I'm
      making my first run with the new keg boiler. ;-)

      I was nervous enough as it was (anticipation) .....then I hear
      what my wife described as a loud "MIDDLE C" ( She was a music
      major). It would stop whenever I cut power to the still....would
      start back when power started up again. It took me forever to
      determine where it was coming from. Turns out it was a harmonic
      vibration in my 3 foot long distilate take off tube vibrating from
      the bubbles produced by the heating elements. Ain't physics
      great!?!?
      Message 2 of 19 , May 29 8:24 PM
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Forsberg <andrew@u...>
        wrote:

        > If I never have to clean up after "the big WHUMP" still-cum-
        grenade or
        > an enormous blue flame I'll be very happy indeed. The mash
        explosion of
        > 2003 was plenty exciting enough for me, I can assure you. :)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Andrew

        It could be worse...

        Great Molasses Flood that swept through part of Boston,
        Massachusetts on January 15, 1919.

        At this time in history, molasses was America's primary sweetener.
        It was used to make all types of cookies, cakes, bread, and
        especially rum.

        Due to its popularity at the time, there were many molasses
        factories, warehouses, and storage tanks lining the shores of
        Boston. After all, Boston was considered to be the distilling
        capital of the United States.

        To tell this story, we are only concerned with one of these
        facilities - a large storage tank located in Boston's north end -
        near the sites where the world famous Fanuel Hall (Quincy Market)
        and the New England Aquarium stand today.

        This was no small tank of molasses. The tank stood over 50 feet
        tall. Estimates of its capacity range from 2.2 to 2.5 million
        gallons!

        And we all know where this story is going.

        A sudden thunderous cracking sound was heard. The tank exploded and
        all the molasses began to flow down the city streets.

        The actual wall of molasses was estimated to be from 15 - 30 feet
        high and moved at 25-35 miles per hour in the area around the tank.
        The depth was only (only?!!) several feet in the surrounding area.
        You could not outrun this thing.

        There was no chance of saving anyone in its destructive path. Anyone
        that attempted to go near the sticky goo got stuck in it themselves
        and could have been cooked alive. It could suck your boots right off
        your feet.

        The flood killed twenty-one people and injured an additional 150.
        Some were suffocated, some cooked, and others were swept by the wave
        into the harbor. I guess you could say that these unfortunate people
        were molassassed to death. Not exactly how I wish to go.

        The wave also destroyed millions of dollars worth of property. Homes
        and warehouses were swept off their foundations and destroyed. Even
        part of the city's elevated train line was destroyed.

        Once the flood stopped, cleanup began. They could not remove the
        trapped horses from the sticky mess, so they had to shoot them to
        death. Freshwater from the fire hydrants would not wash away the
        molasses, so salt water from the harbor had to be sprayed on the
        land.

        It took over six months to remove the molasses from the cobblestone
        streets, theaters, businesses, automobiles, and homes. The Boston
        Harbor was also stained brown for six months (must have made for a
        beautiful photo opportunity).

        Believe it or not, there were reports that the molasses would
        actually continue to creep out of the ground and cracks in the
        sidewalks for 30 years! Others claim that you can still smell traces
        of it on a very hot day in the city.

        So what happened to cause this mess?

        No one is really sure, but there are two theories:

        First, it was believed that the tank was overfilled due to the
        impended threat of prohibition. It cracked open due to the extra
        force.

        An alternative explanation has to do with the weather that day. On
        the prior day, the temperature was only 2 degrees Fahrenheit above
        zero. On the day of the accident, it had quickly shot up to an
        unseasonably warm 40 degrees. Some believe that this caused rapid
        expansion of the molasses and overstressed the tank.

        This accident is certainly one that will stick in the minds of
        Bostonians for many years to come.

        (source:
        http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/molasses/molasses.html )

        (original newspaper article:
        New York Times, Jan 16 1919
        http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/molasses/molasses.jpg )

        Harry's note:
        An elaboration on the second theory came to light recently. Natural
        spontaneous fermentation of molasses is possible under certain
        conditions, such as poor refining, and the presence of heat and
        humid conditions. It's not uncommon to find naturally occurring
        proteins such as gluten in significant quantity in low grade
        molasses. This is all that's required (together with warm weather)
        to start fermentation. In a tank that size, well it's obvious what
        the outcome would be.