How to remove spear valve from keg

  • davidmcw
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2004
      I have finally obtained a stainless steel beer keg for my boiler.
      There is still some ullage and I presume some CO2 under pressure.
      How do I remove the sealing valve (and do it safely). It is of
      Australian manufacture.

      I am also looking for suggestions for a safety valve(pressure
      release)to fit to the boiler.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "davidmcw" <davidmcw@y...> wrote:
        > I have finally obtained a stainless steel beer keg for my boiler.
        > There is still some ullage and I presume some CO2 under pressure.
        > How do I remove the sealing valve (and do it safely). It is of
        > Australian manufacture.
        >
        > I am also looking for suggestions for a safety valve(pressure
        > release)to fit to the boiler.

        This might be useful...
        http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html

        Safety valves are easy. Go to a craft store and buy a large cork,
        the ones they use for large-mouth jars (about 100mm diameter). Cut
        a hole (slightly smaller than the cork) in the plate you are going
        to make for the keg-top. Wet the cork and soften it in the
        microwave (30 seconds). Fit it in the hole in the plate. Voila!
        one relief blowout valve. If it doesn't seal properly, run a bead
        of roof-n-gutter silicone around it where the cork meets the steel.

        HTH
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 7 , May 27, 2004
          David you could use an angle grinder and a drill to cut it out if you intend
          to weld something else in place of it.

          To release the gas that the keg still contains, try depressing the ball in
          the centre, this can be done with a small crow bar used as a lever to press
          say a socket down. If you have a friendly home brew store that sells the
          different Micromatic fittings for the different keg styles they may lend you
          the correct fitting overnight or for a weekend (offer a substantial deposit)
          don't forget to wash the fitting thoroughly before returning it. People have
          been known to purchase these fittings so they can use a beer keg in a
          refrigerator in there bar, they just go to the local hotel and buy a keg
          full of the brew that they prefer.

          WARNING:- Remove all gas before attempting to remove the spear, otherwise
          the pressure the keg still contains is likely to impact on a part of your
          body (head) with a great deal of force.

          When de-pressurizing the keg, be careful not to hold you head over the drill
          as it initially breaks through, or the outlet of the Micromatic fitting,
          otherwise you will get a face full of old beer. :-( It may be good for the
          complexion but it attracts too many bugs etc.

          If it's a CUB keg and you only wish to remove the spear, it has a "C" clip
          holding it in at the very top. The best way I know of to remove this clip is
          to use a 1/8" drill bit and carefully drill the clip at the midway point.
          This will render the spring effect that the clip uses to stay in the groove.
          Try pressing the spear down with the lever and socket and see if you can pry
          the remains of the "C" clip out. Failing that use a small hammer and coal
          chisel or similar and try knocking the "C" clip out. Once this clip is out
          the spear should unscrew half a turn to come out.

          As to the lion Nathan keg, maybe someone else can help you there.

          Yours in spirit

          Robert

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , May 27, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "davidmcw" <davidmcw@y...> wrote:
            > I have finally obtained a stainless steel beer keg for my boiler.
            > There is still some ullage and I presume some CO2 under pressure.
            > How do I remove the sealing valve (and do it safely). It is of
            > Australian manufacture.
            >
            > I am also looking for suggestions for a safety valve(pressure
            > release)to fit to the boiler.

            this site has a video clip

            http://www.milehidistilling.com/

            BR
          • Brandon Lee
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28, 2004
              Sabco industries has a small unit whick is pictured on
              their web site to remove the center from the keg-- it
              is somewhat expensive- but u cam make the same thing
              with a tri-clover clamp,a 1.125 socket,and a bearing
              puller--first-- turn the keg on the side-- don't punch
              the ball valve with it looking at u or u will get a
              face full of old stale beer-- with your finger depress
              the ball check valve till all the co2 has
              escaped--place the tri-clover clamp around the neck of
              the keg--place the 1.125" socket over the check
              valve-- position the bearing puller to grip the edges
              of the clamp and tighten with a wrench-- it will
              depress the rubber gasket enough to remove the
              retaining ring-- with a small screwdriver just unwind
              the ring and save it to re use--remove your puller and
              clamp and u have it-- i use these kegs to store my cut
              liquor in and let it age with the oak or cherry or
              maple blocks inside the keg-- works great and doesn't
              leak--and they roll around real easy as well--just
              last week i tapped one from 26-Jan. 01 and boy was
              this stuff smooth--it last a long time when u don't
              drink the stuff--
              if i can be of help don't hesitate to ask
              Regarde
              your brother n the spirits
              Blueflame456
              --- bradr36 <bradr36@...> wrote:
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "davidmcw"
              > <davidmcw@y...> wrote:
              > > I have finally obtained a stainless steel beer keg
              > for my boiler.
              > > There is still some ullage and I presume some CO2
              > under pressure.
              > > How do I remove the sealing valve (and do it
              > safely). It is of
              > > Australian manufacture.
              > >
              > > I am also looking for suggestions for a safety
              > valve(pressure
              > > release)to fit to the boiler.
              >
              > this site has a video clip
              >
              > http://www.milehidistilling.com/
              >
              > BR

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • David Mc
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2004
                Many thanks to all who gave advice. My keg is a CUB
                brand and the problem was removing the C clip. I
                decompressed the tank (only partially drenching myself
                in stale beer) and then I was able to drill through
                the C clip in 2 places and then remove it and the
                valve - the C clip was more difficult than I expected.
                Is there a special tool to do this?
                david

                --- Brandon Lee <blueflame456@...> wrote:
                > Sabco industries has a small unit whick is pictured
                > on
                > their web site to remove the center from the keg--
                > it
                snip
                > Blueflame456
                snip
                > > this site has a video clip
                > >
                > > http://www.milehidistilling.com/
                > >
                > > BR

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Brain Solenoid
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2004
                  David,

                  Actually, yes, there is a tool........a couple as a matter of fact.
                  One tool depresses the the valve core assembly onto it's gasket/o-ring
                  in order to take pressure off the split ring. It looks a lot like a
                  gear puller, and costs about $75 US from a keg supplier.

                  There is also a flat pick, as it were, that is the width of the split
                  ring that you would use to pry it out. I have done this a lot of
                  times to replace leaking Sankey valve cores. Of course, you vent the
                  keg pressure first or you might end up spitting some teeth if it
                  breaks loose from the pressure. In fact, I have quite a few new
                  assemblies in the next room from where I am right now.

                  Removing the split ring allows you to then turn the valve assembly to
                  remove it.

                  What I used to do when I was just a little Brewer was to lean over the
                  keg with a tee made from two 2x4s. The end of one was cut to allow
                  teh end to fit down inside the coupler portion of the valve. I would
                  put my weight on the tee with my chest, which would dpress the valve
                  core from the o-ring. Using a probe (a narrow icepick), I would pry
                  out the split ring. Needle nose plyers helped as well.

                  Use a hand beer pump to take any pressure or stale beer out of the keg
                  prior to doing this.

                  Regards,
                  BS