Making of liquiers

  • glennnat@southwest.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 7:04 PM
      Can someone tell me if i want to make a bottle of top shelf melon
      liquer ...what does the 250 mls of white sugar mean ...how do i
      convert raw sugar to that ??
      thank Glenn
    • Gary Gluyas
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 7:17 PM
        Hello Glenn

        Simply use 250gms of plain white sugar.

        If you are using a reflux still (like I am), I tend to reduce the sugar by
        10% as I am finding it a little too sweet.

        I also put 3 mls of glycerine per bottle (1000-1125 mls) in every bottle to
        give a further improved taste.

        Cheers
        Kiwi Gary
        gluyas@...
        MILL-FORD LODGE HOMEBREW SHOP
        www.pbsltd.co.nz

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 3:12 PM
          Hi Glenn, with the t/s melon, we have found that if you dont like your
          liqueurs too sweet, cut the sugar back.As far as the mls measurement of the
          sugar go, if you take a standard liquid measure kitchen jug, pour in the
          sugar up to the 250ml level, give the jug a shake to level out the sugar,
          and hey presto. However, as i said, some of my customers have reduced the
          initial sugar addition, then taste tested the liqueur, and added sugar to
          taste, if necessary.
          regards Pete