Temp controller

  • Paul Bryant
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hello to all,
      Can anybody help with details of a Temp controller for a 1200 watt element
      in my still so as i can convert it to a pot still and control the exact
      amount of heat input.Is it called a triac? where would i conjure up the
      drawings if available as a mate could build it for me if needed. Thanks for
      any help sent .
      Have a safe Easter to all. Mac.
    • Kev
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
        Hi Paul,

        > Can anybody help with details of a Temp controller for a 1200 watt
        element
        > in my still

        If you look at the info and links on Tony's web site,
        http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/control.htm you should find
        what you need.

        > so as i can convert it to a pot still and control the exact
        > amount of heat input.

        I feel duty bound to point out that putting a temp. controller on the
        element won't make your still into a pot still, it's the lack of
        reflux that does that. But I'm sure you already knew that.

        >Is it called a triac?

        A Triac seems to be the popular way to do it for loads over 1Kw. I've
        seen light dimmer switches up to that value which I think use a
        variable resistor. My brother's the electronics wizard, I only tinker
        around the edges of it. He's supposed to be drawing me up a parts
        list and circuit diagram for my own 1380watt element, but he hasn't
        come up with the goods yet.

        > where would i conjure up the
        > drawings if available as a mate could build it for me if needed.

        Again, the links on Tony's site give some diagrams and pictures. If
        you've got a mate who knows what (s)he's doing with electronics (s)he
        might be able to design it from scratch for you as well as build it.

        My Bro's answer to my question "wots a Triac?" was:

        'A quick answer, a Triac is a method of controling a sinewave to
        limit the power of, for instance, heating elements. As a simple
        explanation it "chops" part of the sine wave so that you do not get
        the full power from it. This can be controlled as to how much you
        chop and therefore how much power goes to the heater.'

        HTH

        Kev.
      • Alexander
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2009
          Hi everyone,
          Just want to ask if anyine has made the temp controller which is shown in the Files sectione here. I would like to make the one Triac-Circuits2
          Does it actually do the job??
          Thanks
          Alex