Re: [Distillers] Sugar wash

  • Darryl Humby
    Message 1 of 39 , May 4, 2004
      Dave,
      I used 2 packs of 1118 in a 25 liter wash wityh the
      7kg of sugar.

      Darryl

    • Robert Hubble
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 25 3:22 PM
        Bob,

        You've raised a question I've asked myself (as a relative group newbie) with
        every post I read. How many of you are running reflux/fractionating stills
        for EtOH/H2O, how many potstillers, how many running a reflux like a
        potstill a la Ian Smiley, and how many continuous types (did I miss
        someone)?

        Because my personal interest is in developing traditional flavors (whiskeys,
        brandies (especially eau de vies), rums), I run a 21 liter potstill.

        >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Sugar wash
        >Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 02:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >The more you add the more flavour you'll get! but
        >seriously, if you want to go the whisky route, ditch
        >most (all) the sugar. Sugar washes are great for pure
        >ethanol, but when you want palatable heads and tails
        >it's rubbish. You'll contaminate any potential good
        >malt flavours with lousy sugar ones.
        >'course this opens up the whole new world of
        >potstilling, unless you start messing about adding a
        >bit of this fraction to a bit of that.....
        >There's something about it in the homedistiller site
        >(below)
        >Cheers,
        >Rob.
        >

        >--- Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Has anyone got any ideas on adding a small amount of
        > > pre malted barley to a sugar wash replacing some of
        > > the sugar. Would this work and when distilled the

        >Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
        >http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        Zymurgy Bob