Re: Home Made Filtering System for Activated Carbon

  • Pete Lipps
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4 3:45 AM
      BS,
      No reactions to PVC, nor to the PVC glue, the reason can
      answer this is the prior filtering system I was using came ordered
      as 3 short PVC pipes held together with 2 rubbery PVC couplings.
      These at one time while filled with carbon and a funnel full of
      alcohol came apart losing all my carbon & spirit on the
      floor.
      To remedy this problem had glued the rubberized pvc coupling's with
      all purpose pvc glue and this worked with no problems or any
      reaction what so ever that can be noticed. No data on reaction, but
      former filtering system (Gert Strand Product) thousands sold and
      apparently no problems. The former system used 1.7 liter's of
      activated carbon, (having just built this new system last night)
      will cut pipe length to match fillup of 1.7L of carbon. Yes BS I do
      have a good source of supplied carbon. My next project will soon
      commence with taking an old pressure cooker and mounting a 2" copper
      pipe in center of lid to steam clean spent carbon back to it's
      useful life again. (biggest problem is just too lazy right now)

      Pete

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
      <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
      > Pete,
      >
      > Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my
      alley.
      > Just and a few questions......
      >
      > 1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
      > Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be
      something.
      > Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have
      you
      > any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?
      >
      > 2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go
      broke
      > in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do
      you
      > really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for
      carbon.

      > 3.) How long does it take to drain?
      >
      > Thanks, in advance!
      > BS
    • Brewhaus
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4 7:01 AM
        Just one correction- the system from Gert Strand uses ABS, not PVC tubing
        and connectors.

        Rick

        Brewhaus (America) Inc.
        Keller, TX 76248
        (817) 271-8041

        check us out on the web: www.brewhaus.com

        <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
        > Pete,
        >
        > Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my
        alley.
        > Just and a few questions......
        >
        > 1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
        > Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be
        something.
        > Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have
        you
        > any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?
        >
        > 2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go
        broke
        > in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do
        you
        > really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for
        carbon.

        > 3.) How long does it take to drain?
        >
        > Thanks, in advance!
        > BS

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • hexenwolfe
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4 3:29 PM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Lipps" <lipps1948@h...>
          wrote:
          > http://www.easttnstills.com/carbonfilter.htm
          > Just completed tonight, picture's are self explaining.
          >
          > Pete

          Love the simple design and the control given by the valve at the
          bottom. My system is even simpler. I took a 2 liter pop bottle and cut
          out the bottom to create a funnel. I attached a five foot piece of
          clear, flexible, one inch diameter, tubing to the mouth of the bottle
          with a pipe clamp. I attached a step down fitting 1 inch to 1/2 inch
          to the other end of the tubing with another pipe clamp. I filled the
          tubing with charcoal. I used a combination of 1/2 stone carbon and 1/2
          aquarium filter carbon. No valves. A piece of cheesecloth was
          necessary in the neck of the 2 liter bottle to retain the charcoal in
          the tubing. It takes about 1 hour to filter 2 liters. I pre-wet the
          carbon with distilled water to avoid volumn loss due to wetting of the
          charcoal.