Re: [Distillers] Re: Home Made Filtering System for Activated Carbon

  • tipringwaterpipe
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2004
      Brain Solenoid <brain_solenoid@...> wrote: Pete,

      Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my alley.
      Just and a few questions......

      1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
      Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be something.
      Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have you
      any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?

      2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go broke
      in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do you
      really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for carbon.

      3.) How long does it take to drain?

      Thanks, in advance!
      BS

      Hi BS and Pete

      Your filtering system is very similar to mine and it works well. I used a 20L food grade bucket on the top attached to my 2" x 5' pipe with a shower drain. It really makes for a nice tight seal in the bottom of the bucket. My pipe is glass (normally used for drains in labs that use corrosive stuff) At the bottom where the filtered product comes out, I have another 20L bucket. I installed a bathtub drain in the bottom and ran this to a small pump. So I fill up the bottom bucket then switch on the pump and up she goes to the top bucket and slowly filters back down. As for the activated carbon, I cheated a bit. I bought a few packs of the high priced stuff and augmented that with some cheaper aquarium grade stuff. To re-activate my carbon, I use a pressure cooker, changing the water a few times. I transfer that to a cast iron fry pan then cook the hell out of it. Works for me :-)

      Down - the - Hatch

      Tip

    • Pete Lipps
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2004
        BS,
        No reactions to PVC, nor to the PVC glue, the reason can
        answer this is the prior filtering system I was using came ordered
        as 3 short PVC pipes held together with 2 rubbery PVC couplings.
        These at one time while filled with carbon and a funnel full of
        alcohol came apart losing all my carbon & spirit on the
        floor.
        To remedy this problem had glued the rubberized pvc coupling's with
        all purpose pvc glue and this worked with no problems or any
        reaction what so ever that can be noticed. No data on reaction, but
        former filtering system (Gert Strand Product) thousands sold and
        apparently no problems. The former system used 1.7 liter's of
        activated carbon, (having just built this new system last night)
        will cut pipe length to match fillup of 1.7L of carbon. Yes BS I do
        have a good source of supplied carbon. My next project will soon
        commence with taking an old pressure cooker and mounting a 2" copper
        pipe in center of lid to steam clean spent carbon back to it's
        useful life again. (biggest problem is just too lazy right now)

        Pete

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
        <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
        > Pete,
        >
        > Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my
        alley.
        > Just and a few questions......
        >
        > 1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
        > Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be
        something.
        > Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have
        you
        > any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?
        >
        > 2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go
        broke
        > in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do
        you
        > really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for
        carbon.

        > 3.) How long does it take to drain?
        >
        > Thanks, in advance!
        > BS
      • Brewhaus
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2004
          Just one correction- the system from Gert Strand uses ABS, not PVC tubing
          and connectors.

          Rick

          Brewhaus (America) Inc.
          Keller, TX 76248
          (817) 271-8041

          check us out on the web: www.brewhaus.com

          <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
          > Pete,
          >
          > Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my
          alley.
          > Just and a few questions......
          >
          > 1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
          > Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be
          something.
          > Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have
          you
          > any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?
          >
          > 2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go
          broke
          > in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do
          you
          > really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for
          carbon.

          > 3.) How long does it take to drain?
          >
          > Thanks, in advance!
          > BS

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • hexenwolfe
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Lipps" <lipps1948@h...>
            wrote:
            > http://www.easttnstills.com/carbonfilter.htm
            > Just completed tonight, picture's are self explaining.
            >
            > Pete

            Love the simple design and the control given by the valve at the
            bottom. My system is even simpler. I took a 2 liter pop bottle and cut
            out the bottom to create a funnel. I attached a five foot piece of
            clear, flexible, one inch diameter, tubing to the mouth of the bottle
            with a pipe clamp. I attached a step down fitting 1 inch to 1/2 inch
            to the other end of the tubing with another pipe clamp. I filled the
            tubing with charcoal. I used a combination of 1/2 stone carbon and 1/2
            aquarium filter carbon. No valves. A piece of cheesecloth was
            necessary in the neck of the 2 liter bottle to retain the charcoal in
            the tubing. It takes about 1 hour to filter 2 liters. I pre-wet the
            carbon with distilled water to avoid volumn loss due to wetting of the
            charcoal.