Re: Home Made Filtering System for Activated Carbon

  • Brain Solenoid
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3 9:04 PM
      Pete,

      Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my alley.
      Just and a few questions......

      1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
      Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be something.
      Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have you
      any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?

      2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go broke
      in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do you
      really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for carbon.

      3.) How long does it take to drain?

      Thanks, in advance!
      BS
    • tipringwaterpipe
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4 3:10 AM
        Brain Solenoid <brain_solenoid@...> wrote: Pete,

        Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my alley.
        Just and a few questions......

        1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
        Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be something.
        Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have you
        any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?

        2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go broke
        in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do you
        really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for carbon.

        3.) How long does it take to drain?

        Thanks, in advance!
        BS

        Hi BS and Pete

        Your filtering system is very similar to mine and it works well. I used a 20L food grade bucket on the top attached to my 2" x 5' pipe with a shower drain. It really makes for a nice tight seal in the bottom of the bucket. My pipe is glass (normally used for drains in labs that use corrosive stuff) At the bottom where the filtered product comes out, I have another 20L bucket. I installed a bathtub drain in the bottom and ran this to a small pump. So I fill up the bottom bucket then switch on the pump and up she goes to the top bucket and slowly filters back down. As for the activated carbon, I cheated a bit. I bought a few packs of the high priced stuff and augmented that with some cheaper aquarium grade stuff. To re-activate my carbon, I use a pressure cooker, changing the water a few times. I transfer that to a cast iron fry pan then cook the hell out of it. Works for me :-)

        Down - the - Hatch

        Tip

      • Pete Lipps
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4 3:45 AM
          BS,
          No reactions to PVC, nor to the PVC glue, the reason can
          answer this is the prior filtering system I was using came ordered
          as 3 short PVC pipes held together with 2 rubbery PVC couplings.
          These at one time while filled with carbon and a funnel full of
          alcohol came apart losing all my carbon & spirit on the
          floor.
          To remedy this problem had glued the rubberized pvc coupling's with
          all purpose pvc glue and this worked with no problems or any
          reaction what so ever that can be noticed. No data on reaction, but
          former filtering system (Gert Strand Product) thousands sold and
          apparently no problems. The former system used 1.7 liter's of
          activated carbon, (having just built this new system last night)
          will cut pipe length to match fillup of 1.7L of carbon. Yes BS I do
          have a good source of supplied carbon. My next project will soon
          commence with taking an old pressure cooker and mounting a 2" copper
          pipe in center of lid to steam clean spent carbon back to it's
          useful life again. (biggest problem is just too lazy right now)

          Pete

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
          <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
          > Pete,
          >
          > Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my
          alley.
          > Just and a few questions......
          >
          > 1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
          > Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be
          something.
          > Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have
          you
          > any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?
          >
          > 2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go
          broke
          > in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do
          you
          > really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for
          carbon.

          > 3.) How long does it take to drain?
          >
          > Thanks, in advance!
          > BS
        • Brewhaus
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4 7:01 AM
            Just one correction- the system from Gert Strand uses ABS, not PVC tubing
            and connectors.

            Rick

            Brewhaus (America) Inc.
            Keller, TX 76248
            (817) 271-8041

            check us out on the web: www.brewhaus.com

            <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
            > Pete,
            >
            > Love the simplicity and enginuity of the design! Right up my
            alley.
            > Just and a few questions......
            >
            > 1.) Do you notice any reactions between your alcohol and the PVC?
            > Alcohol, being a solvent, I would think that there would be
            something.
            > Obviously, a redundant question, as you still use PVC, but have
            you
            > any data on PVC's resistance to alchol attack?
            >
            > 2.) Do you fill that whole column with carbon? A guy could go
            broke
            > in my neck of the woods trying to fill that monster! How much do
            you
            > really use in that. I'll bet you have a better source than I for
            carbon.

            > 3.) How long does it take to drain?
            >
            > Thanks, in advance!
            > BS

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • hexenwolfe
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4 3:29 PM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Lipps" <lipps1948@h...>
              wrote:
              > http://www.easttnstills.com/carbonfilter.htm
              > Just completed tonight, picture's are self explaining.
              >
              > Pete

              Love the simple design and the control given by the valve at the
              bottom. My system is even simpler. I took a 2 liter pop bottle and cut
              out the bottom to create a funnel. I attached a five foot piece of
              clear, flexible, one inch diameter, tubing to the mouth of the bottle
              with a pipe clamp. I attached a step down fitting 1 inch to 1/2 inch
              to the other end of the tubing with another pipe clamp. I filled the
              tubing with charcoal. I used a combination of 1/2 stone carbon and 1/2
              aquarium filter carbon. No valves. A piece of cheesecloth was
              necessary in the neck of the 2 liter bottle to retain the charcoal in
              the tubing. It takes about 1 hour to filter 2 liters. I pre-wet the
              carbon with distilled water to avoid volumn loss due to wetting of the
              charcoal.