Re: Lithuanian beverages

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      The Latvian term for vodka is 'degvins' which means literally 'burnt
      wine', and is most probably derived from the
      German 'branntwein'('brandewijn' in Dutch) which also gave the
      English 'brandywine'(now just 'brandy').
      The Estonians (viin), Finnish (viina) and Russians (vino) have
      retained just the 'wein' part and not the 'burnt' connection.
      The Lithuanian 'degtine' term is similar to the archaic
      Polish 'gorzalka' term from which is derived the Ukrainian
      term 'horilka' both of which are from Slavic verbs 'to burn'.
      Nicholas Faith & Ian Wisniewski in 'Classic Vodka' state:
      "Consequently, it is claimed that the word vodka, and the concept,
      reached Russia from Poland - via Lithuania, Belarus and the Ukraine."
      At the end of the 14th century the Grand Duchy of Lithuania ruled
      Belarus and parts of Ukraine. In 1385 Poland and Lithuania formed a
      confederation. So political, cultural and economic influences existed
      for the above to occur.

      wal

      > The Lithuanian term for vodka is 'degtine' which comes from the
      > root 'degti' which means 'to burn'. Most probably then it is
      derived
      > from the German 'gebrannte wasser/weinbrand' which also is derived
      > from 'to burn'. In Latvian vodka is 'degvins', in Estonian it
      > is 'viin' and in Finnish it is 'viina'. The etymology suggests a
      West

      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2004
        It has been suggested that Russian distillation started after a
        Genoese trade mission in 1426. If so one wonders why the
        term 'akvavita' ('zhizennia voda' in Russian) was not adopted
        commercially as in Denmark and Norway.
        Several Baltic countries were under German rule from the 13th to 16th
        centuries and many Baltic cities belonged in the 15th century to the
        Hansa League. There are several German names for alcoholic
        distillates - 'gebrannte wasser' (from 'aqua ardens'), 'branntwein'
        and 'weinbrand' (brandy-wine). The 'to burn' verb appears to be the
        origin of the archaic Polish term 'gorzale wino'/'gorzalka', the
        Ukrainian 'palene vyno'/'horilka' and the Lithuanian 'degtine'. The
        later Polish term 'wodka' appears to be derived from
        the 'wasser'(water) part of the German 'gebrannte wasser'. Another
        archaic Polish term is 'okowita' which is a corruption of 'aqua
        vitae. There is a written record dated 1405 of distillation in Poland
        and term 'wodka' was first recorded in 1534 whereas in Russia it was
        first recorded in 1751. After the 16th century German rule in the
        Baltics was replaced by Russian rule. The first written record of
        distillation in Estonia is in 1485 and the Estonian term for vodka
        is 'viin' which appears to be derived from the 'wein' part
        of 'branntwein'. In Latvian the term is 'degvins', which is
        equivalent to the German 'branntwein'. As provinces of Russia, Latvia
        and Estonia supplied Russia with over 10% of its total vodka
        requirements and in 1886, 92.5% of spirit imported to St.Petersburg
        was Baltic in origin, mainly Estonian. The Wolfschmidt distillery for
        example was established in 1847 in Latvia and was a supplier to the
        Russian tsars Nikolai 1 and Alexander 111. Interestingly the early
        Russian term for this distillate is 'vino' which corresponds to the
        Estonian term 'viin'. The Polish term 'wodka' entered the Russian
        language in the 18th century when Russia bergan occupying former
        Polish ruled territories.
        It appears to me, based on etymology ('viin'/'vino' and
        later 'wodka'/'vodka'), that commercial distillation reached Russia
        via the Baltic counties, and the earlier term 'vino' was replaced
        by 'vodka' through the influence of Poland or Polish ruled
        territories such as Belarus and parts of Ukraine. Distillation in
        Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania appear to have reached there from
        Poland due to political ties.

        wal