Re: Lithuanian beverages

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2004
      The Lithuanian term for vodka is 'degtine' which comes from the
      root 'degti' which means 'to burn'. Most probably then it is derived
      from the German 'gebrannte wasser/weinbrand' which also is derived
      from 'to burn'. In Latvian vodka is 'degvins', in Estonian it
      is 'viin' and in Finnish it is 'viina'. The etymology suggests a West
      European origin for 'degtine' (Lithuanian vodka).
      wal

      > A rather overtly ethnocentric view -
      > http://www.hbhjuozas.lt/iframe.php?view=3_2&lan=en
      >
      > wal
    • danev2
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        Yes We Lithuanians (my self among them) can be proud of the many
        first accomplishments of our country.
        We were the first to declare independence from the soviet Union, we
        have the prettiest girls in Europe (www.pazintys.com) and we nearly
        beat the US olympic "dream team" How many Lith's are playing in the
        NBA now?
        Oh yes, and did I mention we are the greatest distillers in the world?

        Thanks for the article
        Have Fun
        :)

        DV

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          The Latvian term for vodka is 'degvins' which means literally 'burnt
          wine', and is most probably derived from the
          German 'branntwein'('brandewijn' in Dutch) which also gave the
          English 'brandywine'(now just 'brandy').
          The Estonians (viin), Finnish (viina) and Russians (vino) have
          retained just the 'wein' part and not the 'burnt' connection.
          The Lithuanian 'degtine' term is similar to the archaic
          Polish 'gorzalka' term from which is derived the Ukrainian
          term 'horilka' both of which are from Slavic verbs 'to burn'.
          Nicholas Faith & Ian Wisniewski in 'Classic Vodka' state:
          "Consequently, it is claimed that the word vodka, and the concept,
          reached Russia from Poland - via Lithuania, Belarus and the Ukraine."
          At the end of the 14th century the Grand Duchy of Lithuania ruled
          Belarus and parts of Ukraine. In 1385 Poland and Lithuania formed a
          confederation. So political, cultural and economic influences existed
          for the above to occur.

          wal

          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2004
            It has been suggested that Russian distillation started after a
            Genoese trade mission in 1426. If so one wonders why the
            term 'akvavita' ('zhizennia voda' in Russian) was not adopted
            commercially as in Denmark and Norway.
            Several Baltic countries were under German rule from the 13th to 16th
            centuries and many Baltic cities belonged in the 15th century to the
            Hansa League. There are several German names for alcoholic
            distillates - 'gebrannte wasser' (from 'aqua ardens'), 'branntwein'
            and 'weinbrand' (brandy-wine). The 'to burn' verb appears to be the
            origin of the archaic Polish term 'gorzale wino'/'gorzalka', the
            Ukrainian 'palene vyno'/'horilka' and the Lithuanian 'degtine'. The
            later Polish term 'wodka' appears to be derived from
            the 'wasser'(water) part of the German 'gebrannte wasser'. Another
            archaic Polish term is 'okowita' which is a corruption of 'aqua
            vitae. There is a written record dated 1405 of distillation in Poland
            and term 'wodka' was first recorded in 1534 whereas in Russia it was
            first recorded in 1751. After the 16th century German rule in the
            Baltics was replaced by Russian rule. The first written record of
            distillation in Estonia is in 1485 and the Estonian term for vodka
            is 'viin' which appears to be derived from the 'wein' part
            of 'branntwein'. In Latvian the term is 'degvins', which is
            equivalent to the German 'branntwein'. As provinces of Russia, Latvia
            and Estonia supplied Russia with over 10% of its total vodka
            requirements and in 1886, 92.5% of spirit imported to St.Petersburg
            was Baltic in origin, mainly Estonian. The Wolfschmidt distillery for
            example was established in 1847 in Latvia and was a supplier to the
            Russian tsars Nikolai 1 and Alexander 111. Interestingly the early
            Russian term for this distillate is 'vino' which corresponds to the
            Estonian term 'viin'. The Polish term 'wodka' entered the Russian
            language in the 18th century when Russia bergan occupying former
            Polish ruled territories.
            It appears to me, based on etymology ('viin'/'vino' and
            later 'wodka'/'vodka'), that commercial distillation reached Russia
            via the Baltic counties, and the earlier term 'vino' was replaced
            by 'vodka' through the influence of Poland or Polish ruled
            territories such as Belarus and parts of Ukraine. Distillation in
            Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania appear to have reached there from
            Poland due to political ties.