Palinka

    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2004
      Secrets of a palinka distiller
      http://www.ce-review.org/00/22/csardas22_3.html

      wal
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2004
        How Palinka is made -
        http://www.click4abottle.co.uk/index.cfm?action=spirits

        In Romanian the form is 'palinca'
        In Slovak (and regional Ukrainian) the term for vodka is 'palenka'
        which is derived from the verb 'to burn'.

        wal

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
          Hungarian home distillation -

          http://tinyurl.com/krpgecx

          wal

        • martin martins
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
            Even if the EU try to ban the home-made hooch the concept of the "little gate" will come into play and life will carry on.

            I'm looking to emigrate there, it's a great place - but the government is a bit weird

            On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:26 PM, "waljaco@... [Distillers]" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hungarian home distillation -

            http://tinyurl.com/krpgecx

            wal

          • hstuurman
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
              I've got a better plan, lets work on legalisation of destillation in the EU. I've tried it in NL, but it has to be done in the EU

              Henk
            • RLB
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
                It would be nice if hobby distilling were legal in every country, but the simple fact is that they are protecting their revenue stream.  The real reason Prohibition ended in the US is that Prohibition almost caused the US to go bankrupt, and they will fight to keep that revenue stream flowing.  They receive $13.50 for each 100 poof gallon produced in the US, and beer and wine doesn't generate the revenue they earn from spirits.  Almost all of us who are interested in hobby distilling will have an up hill battle of convincing them to make hobby distilling legal because of their fear of losing revenue.

                An idea that has crossed my mind when I start distilling again is to anonymously send them their $13.50 for each gallon retained for spirits because the rest will be used as bio-fuel.  If by chance they knock on my door, they will be less inclined to toss me into jail.  After I finish building my new Rotary Drum Drier, my attention will focus on building my new Flash Still.

                Robert

                I've got a better plan, lets work on legalisation of destillation in the EU. I've tried it in NL, but it has to be done in the EU

                Henk

              • Jan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
                  Hi Henk,
                  You guys in the EU will never convince the idiots that rule the roost in Brussels to make hobby distilling legal.
                  They need every cent to be able to fund their rorting of the system that is so blatantly obviously.
                  Cheers,
                  Jan.

                  On 18/06/2014 2:51 AM, hstuurman@... [Distillers] wrote:

                  I've got a better plan, lets work on legalisation of destillation in the EU. I've tried it in NL, but it has to be done in the EU

                  Henk

                • John
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
                    We'd have an even steeper hill, no a mountain to climb here in the UK.

                    Last time I looked, it was £25.52 per 1% alcohol, per 100ltrs. So you make 100 litres and if its the industry standards 40% ABV, you owe the poison little bastard just over £1000 in excise duty - without forgetting that while "basic" food is VAT/sales tax free, alcohol is "luxury" food so it attracts 20% VAT/sales tax on top of the retail......

                    Basically if a bottle of cheap and nasty Vodka is £10, something like £7.50 or so is tax........

                    They ain't gonna let that go in a hurry........

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 17, 2014
                      It aint gonna be simple, but if our US-colleges can try we can also.
                      I'm legal, so they cannot hurt me, I will be the contact, but I need backup (and time)

                      Henk

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 19, 2014
                        It's hard also for small distilleries. They are not encouraged, as the government finds it more economical to tax the big players.
                        What helps home distillers is that it is not economical to enforce an archaic law at that level. Eventually it will fail with enough people disregarding it! Once alcohol excise was about 40% of the budget but that is not the case anymore.

                        http://tinyurl.com/o99ywat

                        wal
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 19, 2014
                          Not knowing how much a standard bottle is in Aus, means I couldn't give reciprocal numbers, but here the thieving bastards take about 75% of retail cost in tax (that's both excise and VAT/sales tax)............

                          Most of the EU charges less........

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 19, 2014
                            Friend request sent. Probably in your "Other" folder