Lithuanian beverages

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2004
      A rather overtly ethnocentric view -
      http://www.hbhjuozas.lt/iframe.php?view=3_2&lan=en

      wal
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        The Lithuanian term for vodka is 'degtine' which comes from the
        root 'degti' which means 'to burn'. Most probably then it is derived
        from the German 'gebrannte wasser/weinbrand' which also is derived
        from 'to burn'. In Latvian vodka is 'degvins', in Estonian it
        is 'viin' and in Finnish it is 'viina'. The etymology suggests a West
        European origin for 'degtine' (Lithuanian vodka).
        wal

        > A rather overtly ethnocentric view -
        > http://www.hbhjuozas.lt/iframe.php?view=3_2&lan=en
        >
        > wal
      • danev2
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          Yes We Lithuanians (my self among them) can be proud of the many
          first accomplishments of our country.
          We were the first to declare independence from the soviet Union, we
          have the prettiest girls in Europe (www.pazintys.com) and we nearly
          beat the US olympic "dream team" How many Lith's are playing in the
          NBA now?
          Oh yes, and did I mention we are the greatest distillers in the world?

          Thanks for the article
          Have Fun
          :)

          DV

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2004
            The Latvian term for vodka is 'degvins' which means literally 'burnt
            wine', and is most probably derived from the
            German 'branntwein'('brandewijn' in Dutch) which also gave the
            English 'brandywine'(now just 'brandy').
            The Estonians (viin), Finnish (viina) and Russians (vino) have
            retained just the 'wein' part and not the 'burnt' connection.
            The Lithuanian 'degtine' term is similar to the archaic
            Polish 'gorzalka' term from which is derived the Ukrainian
            term 'horilka' both of which are from Slavic verbs 'to burn'.
            Nicholas Faith & Ian Wisniewski in 'Classic Vodka' state:
            "Consequently, it is claimed that the word vodka, and the concept,
            reached Russia from Poland - via Lithuania, Belarus and the Ukraine."
            At the end of the 14th century the Grand Duchy of Lithuania ruled
            Belarus and parts of Ukraine. In 1385 Poland and Lithuania formed a
            confederation. So political, cultural and economic influences existed
            for the above to occur.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2004
              It has been suggested that Russian distillation started after a
              Genoese trade mission in 1426. If so one wonders why the
              term 'akvavita' ('zhizennia voda' in Russian) was not adopted
              commercially as in Denmark and Norway.
              Several Baltic countries were under German rule from the 13th to 16th
              centuries and many Baltic cities belonged in the 15th century to the
              Hansa League. There are several German names for alcoholic
              distillates - 'gebrannte wasser' (from 'aqua ardens'), 'branntwein'
              and 'weinbrand' (brandy-wine). The 'to burn' verb appears to be the
              origin of the archaic Polish term 'gorzale wino'/'gorzalka', the
              Ukrainian 'palene vyno'/'horilka' and the Lithuanian 'degtine'. The
              later Polish term 'wodka' appears to be derived from
              the 'wasser'(water) part of the German 'gebrannte wasser'. Another
              archaic Polish term is 'okowita' which is a corruption of 'aqua
              vitae. There is a written record dated 1405 of distillation in Poland
              and term 'wodka' was first recorded in 1534 whereas in Russia it was
              first recorded in 1751. After the 16th century German rule in the
              Baltics was replaced by Russian rule. The first written record of
              distillation in Estonia is in 1485 and the Estonian term for vodka
              is 'viin' which appears to be derived from the 'wein' part
              of 'branntwein'. In Latvian the term is 'degvins', which is
              equivalent to the German 'branntwein'. As provinces of Russia, Latvia
              and Estonia supplied Russia with over 10% of its total vodka
              requirements and in 1886, 92.5% of spirit imported to St.Petersburg
              was Baltic in origin, mainly Estonian. The Wolfschmidt distillery for
              example was established in 1847 in Latvia and was a supplier to the
              Russian tsars Nikolai 1 and Alexander 111. Interestingly the early
              Russian term for this distillate is 'vino' which corresponds to the
              Estonian term 'viin'. The Polish term 'wodka' entered the Russian
              language in the 18th century when Russia bergan occupying former
              Polish ruled territories.
              It appears to me, based on etymology ('viin'/'vino' and
              later 'wodka'/'vodka'), that commercial distillation reached Russia
              via the Baltic counties, and the earlier term 'vino' was replaced
              by 'vodka' through the influence of Poland or Polish ruled
              territories such as Belarus and parts of Ukraine. Distillation in
              Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania appear to have reached there from
              Poland due to political ties.