Re: My sugar wash has turned to goo.

  • Peter Prince
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      I eventually contacted Still Spirits about my failure with their
      Turbo Extra and they replied as follows.........

      Leuconostoc bacterium turning the fermenting wash to jelly.

      Under certain conditions, the Leuconostoc bacterium, if present in a
      produces a polysaccharide. The fermented wash becomes thick and
      In extreme conditions the wash foams out of the fermenter. While it
      is totally harmless, the contamination renders the wash useless for
      the purpose of distillation.

      This bacterium can live on surfaces within a brewing environment,
      where there is a lot of repeat brewing, it is likely that this the
      source of
      contamination. It is also possible that the bacterium is present in
      the water
      and it is also possible that it is in the yeast sachet itself
      although extensive
      testing has found no evidence of this to date.

      The ideal environment for the yeast bacterium is a warm sugary
      mixture rich
      in nutrition, In this environment the bacterium will multiply
      rapidly (as with all other bacterium)
      An alcohol solution as weak as 5.O%a/v will inhibit the bacterium
      from growing and chlorine based sterilisers will kill the bacterium,
      virtually upon contact.

      Even in the most sterile of brewing environment some bacteria will
      present. It is therefore important for brewing success, that
      fermentation starts as rapidly as possible.

      Turbo Extra.

      This yeast strain has been selected for it's resistance to alcohol
      which allows it to ferment out to a higher alcohol strength than
      other strains of yeast.
      Unfortunately, this yeast strain also has a long lag phase (is a
      very slow starter). During this lag phase any bacterium present can
      multiply rapidly.

      If you have experienced this infection lst. hand then we sugest you
      try some of the following tips.

      1. Change to a different yeast. All three of our other yeasts have
      extremely short lag phases and can often be seen to start fermenting
      within 15 minutes and rapidly start to produce alcohol so there is
      no time for this bacterium to get established.

      2. Clean and sterilise all equipment. Spray the room with a
      and wipe down all areas with a chlorine based sterilizer.

      3. Move the brewing equipment to a new location If possible.

      4. Ensure you follow the correct mixing instructions.

      We welcome feedback regarding incidences of this infection. Please
      email us
      on technical@stillspirits com and title the email Turbo Extra.

      I guess this explains it. I have changed yeast and every thing is
      working fine now.

      Thanx to the Still Spirits people and all those in this group for
      the help given.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Prince" <pprince@w...>