Re: spiral still (damn fine thing)

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 7:35 AM
      Thanks for your kind words Mark. I think you still have room for
      improvement though. Spreading the reflux well over the packing is one
      thing that makes a lot of difference. I installed a perforated plate
      on top of the column and that with precise power control made a huge
      improvement. If you can fine tune the power well (down to 2-3W
      increments) you can achieve automated shutdown when heads are gone
      before ethanol starts to come out. I like to run several hours on
      full reflux to get all the unwanted stuff into the column (big
      advantage for air-cooling), and then add the power carefully to get a
      drop every two seconds or so. This results extremely pure middle cut
      and allows using 10-80-10 or even 5-90-5 cuts for average sugar mash.
      Getting accurate power controller is problematic, I solved this by
      using computer controlled solid state relay to regulate power (look
      for the old posts).

      Personally I have stopped using my VM and LM rigs. It's potstill for
      whiskey and gin and spiral+column for vodka. Next setup in distant
      future is total computer control + air cooling. I already have the
      power control, just need to rig some thermoprobes and write a proper
      program (as if I ever find time for that).

      Greetz, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bordermeister"
      <bordermeister@t...> wrote:

      > Well have finally got around to setting up a spiral still as per
      > Riku's setup. I must say I am impressed with its (spiral still with
      > column) ability to produce a clean vodka. I gathered together about
      > 25 litres of heads and tails plus one burnt whisky mash effort.
      This