Re: spiral still

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "robotguy666" <robotguy666@y...>
      wrote:
      > how much alcohol is made by the spiral still? lets say we have 25
      > liter at 15% and what will be the proof? when i was looking at a
      pdf
      > about it it says. "92-95%" Does this mean proof or % alcohol????
      > Because after that it says " not that bad" or something to those
      regards.

      > thanks alot,
      > Mark

      Spiral still can produce alcohol-water mixture containing over 90%
      alcohol. This requires slow operating speed (1 drop / second or less
      for 10mm version) and separation is not very good. If you want
      consistent 95+% and very good separation add a column to the system.
      The mash you mentioned would typically produce a bit over 4 liters
      at ~90%. For regular version of spirall still you need generous cuts
      or carbon filtration.

      Greetz, Riku
    • bordermeister
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "robotguy666" <robotguy666@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > how much alcohol is made by the spiral still? lets say we have 25
        > > liter at 15% and what will be the proof? when i was looking at a
        > pdf
        > > about it it says. "92-95%" Does this mean proof or % alcohol????
        > > Because after that it says " not that bad" or something to those
        > regards.
        > >
        > > thanks alot,
        > > Mark
        >
        > Spiral still can produce alcohol-water mixture containing over 90%
        > alcohol. This requires slow operating speed (1 drop / second or
        less
        > for 10mm version) and separation is not very good. If you want
        > consistent 95+% and very good separation add a column to the
        system.

        > The mash you mentioned would typically produce a bit over 4 liters
        > at ~90%. For regular version of spirall still you need generous
        cuts
        > or carbon filtration.
        >
        > Greetz, Riku

        Well have finally got around to setting up a spiral still as per
        Riku's setup. I must say I am impressed with its (spiral still with
        column) ability to produce a clean vodka. I gathered together about
        25 litres of heads and tails plus one burnt whisky mash effort. This
        tasted (had to try 5mls) and smelt pungent. I have been playing with
        power control but have found the application of extra towels (as
        extra insulation on boiler and coil) to be the most efficient.

        The run has moved from heads to main run and I must say it is a very
        clean 94.5% vodka with only the slightest aftertaste. I will probably
        rest it on carbon but if it using it for essences I wouldn't even
        bother - the aftertaste is very slight. Now considering it was a mix
        of heads and tails from most of my experiments of sugar, dextrose and
        whisky washes (not togfether)plus one really burnt malt whisky wash,
        I am very impressed. This just sits there with no water requirements,
        ticking along ouputting 94%+ vodka with low power requirements
        (~350W) out of some very ordinary low wines.

        Thanks Riku, I have been meaning to test this for ages but finally
        got around to getting a 36mm SS column welded up with a milking
        machine connector to setup on my keg.

        So now I have pretty good whisky coming out of my LM PDA,
        Damn good vodka coming out of my VM PDA,
        Pretty good vodka coming out of my spiral from heads and tails and
        blown experiments (Needs a little carbon treatment or good for
        essences).

        All in all is looking pretty good with minimal wastage after re-using
        everything to extract the max.

        Thanks and appreciation to:

        Harry for his advice on making a liquid malt whisky,
        Mike and Mike for an extrordinary LM/VM PDA,
        Riku for his efforts on the air cooled spiral still (with column).

        Next project is playing with a recirculating water cooling setup (as
        per Harry's) for use with a 2" copper pot still head and liebig.

        Excuse the long ramble, have been sampling the results of the spiral
        still.

        Cheers
        Mark
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2004
          Thanks for your kind words Mark. I think you still have room for
          improvement though. Spreading the reflux well over the packing is one
          thing that makes a lot of difference. I installed a perforated plate
          on top of the column and that with precise power control made a huge
          improvement. If you can fine tune the power well (down to 2-3W
          increments) you can achieve automated shutdown when heads are gone
          before ethanol starts to come out. I like to run several hours on
          full reflux to get all the unwanted stuff into the column (big
          advantage for air-cooling), and then add the power carefully to get a
          drop every two seconds or so. This results extremely pure middle cut
          and allows using 10-80-10 or even 5-90-5 cuts for average sugar mash.
          Getting accurate power controller is problematic, I solved this by
          using computer controlled solid state relay to regulate power (look
          for the old posts).

          Personally I have stopped using my VM and LM rigs. It's potstill for
          whiskey and gin and spiral+column for vodka. Next setup in distant
          future is total computer control + air cooling. I already have the
          power control, just need to rig some thermoprobes and write a proper
          program (as if I ever find time for that).

          Greetz, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bordermeister"