spiral still

  • robotguy666
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
      how much alcohol is made by the spiral still? lets say we have 25
      liter at 15% and what will be the proof? when i was looking at a pdf
      about it it says. "92-95%" Does this mean proof or % alcohol????
      Because after that it says " not that bad" or something to those regards.

      thanks alot,
      Mark
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 3:31 AM
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "robotguy666" <robotguy666@y...>
        wrote:
        > how much alcohol is made by the spiral still? lets say we have 25
        > liter at 15% and what will be the proof? when i was looking at a
        pdf
        > about it it says. "92-95%" Does this mean proof or % alcohol????
        > Because after that it says " not that bad" or something to those
        regards.

        > thanks alot,
        > Mark

        Spiral still can produce alcohol-water mixture containing over 90%
        alcohol. This requires slow operating speed (1 drop / second or less
        for 10mm version) and separation is not very good. If you want
        consistent 95+% and very good separation add a column to the system.
        The mash you mentioned would typically produce a bit over 4 liters
        at ~90%. For regular version of spirall still you need generous cuts
        or carbon filtration.

        Greetz, Riku
      • bordermeister
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 6:07 AM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "robotguy666" <robotguy666@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > how much alcohol is made by the spiral still? lets say we have 25
          > > liter at 15% and what will be the proof? when i was looking at a
          > pdf
          > > about it it says. "92-95%" Does this mean proof or % alcohol????
          > > Because after that it says " not that bad" or something to those
          > regards.
          > >
          > > thanks alot,
          > > Mark
          >
          > Spiral still can produce alcohol-water mixture containing over 90%
          > alcohol. This requires slow operating speed (1 drop / second or
          less
          > for 10mm version) and separation is not very good. If you want
          > consistent 95+% and very good separation add a column to the
          system.

          > The mash you mentioned would typically produce a bit over 4 liters
          > at ~90%. For regular version of spirall still you need generous
          cuts
          > or carbon filtration.
          >
          > Greetz, Riku

          Well have finally got around to setting up a spiral still as per
          Riku's setup. I must say I am impressed with its (spiral still with
          column) ability to produce a clean vodka. I gathered together about
          25 litres of heads and tails plus one burnt whisky mash effort. This
          tasted (had to try 5mls) and smelt pungent. I have been playing with
          power control but have found the application of extra towels (as
          extra insulation on boiler and coil) to be the most efficient.

          The run has moved from heads to main run and I must say it is a very
          clean 94.5% vodka with only the slightest aftertaste. I will probably
          rest it on carbon but if it using it for essences I wouldn't even
          bother - the aftertaste is very slight. Now considering it was a mix
          of heads and tails from most of my experiments of sugar, dextrose and
          whisky washes (not togfether)plus one really burnt malt whisky wash,
          I am very impressed. This just sits there with no water requirements,
          ticking along ouputting 94%+ vodka with low power requirements
          (~350W) out of some very ordinary low wines.

          Thanks Riku, I have been meaning to test this for ages but finally
          got around to getting a 36mm SS column welded up with a milking
          machine connector to setup on my keg.

          So now I have pretty good whisky coming out of my LM PDA,
          Damn good vodka coming out of my VM PDA,
          Pretty good vodka coming out of my spiral from heads and tails and
          blown experiments (Needs a little carbon treatment or good for
          essences).

          All in all is looking pretty good with minimal wastage after re-using
          everything to extract the max.

          Thanks and appreciation to:

          Harry for his advice on making a liquid malt whisky,
          Mike and Mike for an extrordinary LM/VM PDA,
          Riku for his efforts on the air cooled spiral still (with column).

          Next project is playing with a recirculating water cooling setup (as
          per Harry's) for use with a 2" copper pot still head and liebig.

          Excuse the long ramble, have been sampling the results of the spiral
          still.

          Cheers
          Mark
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 7:35 AM
            Thanks for your kind words Mark. I think you still have room for
            improvement though. Spreading the reflux well over the packing is one
            thing that makes a lot of difference. I installed a perforated plate
            on top of the column and that with precise power control made a huge
            improvement. If you can fine tune the power well (down to 2-3W
            increments) you can achieve automated shutdown when heads are gone
            before ethanol starts to come out. I like to run several hours on
            full reflux to get all the unwanted stuff into the column (big
            advantage for air-cooling), and then add the power carefully to get a
            drop every two seconds or so. This results extremely pure middle cut
            and allows using 10-80-10 or even 5-90-5 cuts for average sugar mash.
            Getting accurate power controller is problematic, I solved this by
            using computer controlled solid state relay to regulate power (look
            for the old posts).

            Personally I have stopped using my VM and LM rigs. It's potstill for
            whiskey and gin and spiral+column for vodka. Next setup in distant
            future is total computer control + air cooling. I already have the
            power control, just need to rig some thermoprobes and write a proper
            program (as if I ever find time for that).

            Greetz, Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bordermeister"