amazing still. please help

  • robotguy666
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2004
      Can anybody help me with my problem? my amazing still will only get up
      to 41C. I bought the still form www.brewhaus.com. i dont know what is
      wrong with the heater. It says it can go up to 50C but i cannot get
      near that temp.also do i totaly put the whole heater in the water? I
      am only producing about 1/4L a day. Why is the? Is it because I am
      only heating the mash up to 41C or what. also is it better to have a
      cooler room to us the amazing still. like will it run better if the
      room is cooler. Also is there any othere "tricks" for the amazing still?

      thank you,
      Mark
    • gatesbox
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
        > am only producing about 1/4L a day. Why is the? Is it because I am

        Thats not too bad. The whole deal with the Amazing still is let it
        sit and do its thing. That said taking any opportunity to let cool
        air into the area that you have your AS in will increase the yield.
        Using the AS during the winter with the window open really increased
        the yield. Basically keep it in the coolest place you can manage or
        exposed to cool evening air.
      • David
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
          dont know that this is the problem but it wouldn't hurt to check the
          voltage that your pluging your heater into. Sometimes ,if your using
          a long dropcord , you could have voltage drop. That would keep your
          element from opperating at full capasity. If your plugging directly
          into a house outlet it still wouldn't hurt to check the voltage just
          in case. once again not sure if this is the problem but just a
          thought.
        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
            voltage shouldnt be a problem unless it is a 240V unit running at
            110V.
            the heaters usually have a bimetallic thermostat inside which turns
            off at 50C so it could be 3kW and it would still only get to 41C.
            unless your wash bucket is huge then power is not the issue, the
            thermostat is. These are usually a bit dodgy. you may have to open it
            and bend it a bit more out. 41C should be fine though you actually
            will get less fusels at 41C so some prefer it.
            it will work far better in a cold room or shed, temp difference is
            key to how it works. the surface area of your heated wash is also
            important, if it is in a very narrow diameter bucket you wont get
            much distillate as there is not much room for it to evaporate. which
            will evaporate faster, a pint of water in a pint glass or a pint of
            water thrown into a bath tub?
            there are a few more tricks like using fans and baffles in the still
            which raise the % a little but lower the output.

            Peter

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "robotguy666" <robotguy666@y...>
            wrote:
            > Can anybody help me with my problem? my amazing still will only get
            up
            > to 41C. I bought the still form www.brewhaus.com. i dont know what
            is
            > wrong with the heater. It says it can go up to 50C but i cannot get
            > near that temp.also do i totaly put the whole heater in the water?
            > am only producing about 1/4L a day. Why is the? Is it because I am
            > only heating the mash up to 41C or what. also is it better to have a
            > cooler room to us the amazing still. like will it run better if the
            > room is cooler. Also is there any othere "tricks" for the amazing
            still?

            > thank you,
            > Mark
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2004
              Here's few pictures of a tuned version of amazing still:
              Makes 60-70% stuff from 18% mash, output % goes down as the % in
              mash goes down. For the heater I'm using Schego Titanium 300W
              (IIRC), keeps the mash at 80C and provides quicker runs.

              Greetz, Riku

              wrote:
              > Can anybody help me with my problem? my amazing still will only
              get up
              > to 41C. I bought the still form www.brewhaus.com. i dont know what
              is
              > wrong with the heater. It says it can go up to 50C but i cannot get
              > near that temp.also do i totaly put the whole heater in the
              water? I
              > am only producing about 1/4L a day. Why is the? Is it because I am
              > only heating the mash up to 41C or what. also is it better to have
              > cooler room to us the amazing still. like will it run better if the
              > room is cooler. Also is there any othere "tricks" for the amazing
              still?

              > thank you,
              > Mark
            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2004
                Two easy tricks, use some PP insulation for the inner bucket to make
                life easier for the heater and tilt the 25l bucket a bit. Tilting
                the bucket makes the condensate flow down from the lid instead of
                dripping back to mash.

                Greetz, Riku