Re: Thermocouple monitor

  • bradr36
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
      hey Cris

      > Hi all, I am after a software program had can monitor about 10
      thermocouples that are attached to my still column(future project).
      > I would really like to see what is happening in the column. Anyone
      out there can help?

      Chris i am currently investigating same, there are a few options i'll
      keep you posted. Look at past replies about PID's it looks like Johan
      has or is working on software that will do what you want.

      > Thermocouples have been the work-horse thermometer element for
      industry for many years,
      > Disadvantages : Accuracy - fair only, calibration sometimes
      required, bead can be adversely affected by some temperature/chemical
      combinations.
      i agree with you here Jim i seen this in my field can be a real pain

      > Modern industry is well into a move toward platinum film elements.
      (PT100 and PT1000 are common)
      thanks Jim will investigate

      >The common probe type thermistor thermometer that displays to 1/10
      degree C, is more stable and accurate than any thermocouple I have
      tried.
      i think what Jim is saying is that if you have a still that is well
      designed all you should need is a accurate thermometer

      some of us here are fooling with this stuff just to play with
      differant ideas to keep the mind going, main interest is not just to
      make good product especially if you have one already (keeps us
      interested in hobby)i don't even run that much product just like to
      design and redesign
      as Jim said have fun
      and of course keep us posted

      Thanks Jim,

      Brad
    • emailbenja
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
        using thermocouples is good but how can you afford to use 10????
        If you are in OZ (and maybe NZ), check out RS online, or Farnell
        Components. Farnell is probably the best for range and price, but i
        still think it will take quite a while to see the cost benefits of
        installing multiple electronic sensors, even though they will give a
        great amount of info about what is happening in your still. As an
        electrical engineer, i think it is the best way to go if you want a
        controlled quality output (i know most wont agree), and there are
        products out there that will let you monitor over 100 in/out puts at
        one time (just in case you want to expand!!)
        Let me know your source, i am currently designing a new hightec still
        for the new milllenium.

        Cheers
        Benja