Re: [Distillers] Surging maybe?

  • Don Rickles
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      Longer colum perhaps? Mine is almost 4 ft between the keg and the head and no roblems here.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
        Gday Ken, certainly sounds like a surging problem to me. Common
        reasons for
        > flooding are usually a blocked column, overfilled boiler or too
        much heat
        > applied to the wash. Pull the scrubbers out and stick them in the
        > dishwasher, then repack the column making sure you can blow freely
        through
        > the column afterwards. My boiler has a tap at the base that I use
        to empty
        > it at the end of the run. Whenever I get some flooding I just drain
        a couple
        > of litres into a METAL (glass may break with the heat) container.
        You don't
        > mention how many watts your electric element is producing, although
        from
        > what you have stated 96% from a 24" tall column would mean you have
        > relatively slow vapour speed, hence an element around the 1200
        watts is what
        > I would expect. A 21/2" column can handle 2400 watts @240V easily
        without

        flooding.

        Let us know how it goes.

        Yours in spirit

        Robert

        Gday Robert,
        Good to hear from you again, the element is 2.4kw, the boiler has a
        tap in it also but I usually only run 25lts at a time so there is
        still plenty of space left inside. I will remove all the scrubbers
        over the weekend & clean them out & keep you informed as to how I
        went.
        Thanks for all the replies.
        Ken Grady
      • hexenwolfe
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...> wrote:

          > Gday all,
          > It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is
          basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the
          element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter
          packed with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating
          through an air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.
          > It has ran perfectly from the start about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg.
          The last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product
          surges quickly & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it
          has been up at a constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated
          thank you one & all.
          > Ken Grady

          Is your heating element cycling? Some electric units control
          temperature by turning on and off in a cyclic fashion. Just a
          thought....