RE: [Distillers] Surging maybe?

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004

      Gday all,
      It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is
      basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the
      element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter packed
      with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating through an
      air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.

      It has run perfectly from the start, about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg. The
      last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product surges quickly
      & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it has been up at a
      constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you one & all.
      Ken Grady

      Gday Ken, certainly sounds like a surging problem to me. Common reasons for
      flooding are usually a blocked column, overfilled boiler or too much heat
      applied to the wash. Pull the scrubbers out and stick them in the
      dishwasher, then repack the column making sure you can blow freely through
      the column afterwards. My boiler has a tap at the base that I use to empty
      it at the end of the run. Whenever I get some flooding I just drain a couple
      of litres into a METAL (glass may break with the heat) container. You don't
      mention how many watts your electric element is producing, although from
      what you have stated 96% from a 24" tall column would mean you have a
      relatively slow vapour speed, hence an element around the 1200 watts is what
      I would expect. A 21/2" column can handle 2400 watts @240V easily without
      flooding.

      Let us know how it goes.

      Yours in spirit

      Robert

    • Don Rickles
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
        Longer colum perhaps? Mine is almost 4 ft between the keg and the head and no roblems here.
        It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter packed with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating through an air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.
        It has ran perfectly from the start about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg. The last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product surges quickly & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it has been up at a constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you one & all.
        Ken Grady

      • kalag02
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
          Gday Ken, certainly sounds like a surging problem to me. Common
          reasons for
          > flooding are usually a blocked column, overfilled boiler or too
          much heat
          > applied to the wash. Pull the scrubbers out and stick them in the
          > dishwasher, then repack the column making sure you can blow freely
          through
          > the column afterwards. My boiler has a tap at the base that I use
          to empty
          > it at the end of the run. Whenever I get some flooding I just drain
          a couple
          > of litres into a METAL (glass may break with the heat) container.
          You don't
          > mention how many watts your electric element is producing, although
          from
          > what you have stated 96% from a 24" tall column would mean you have
          > relatively slow vapour speed, hence an element around the 1200
          watts is what
          > I would expect. A 21/2" column can handle 2400 watts @240V easily
          without

          flooding.

          Let us know how it goes.

          Yours in spirit

          Robert

          Gday Robert,
          Good to hear from you again, the element is 2.4kw, the boiler has a
          tap in it also but I usually only run 25lts at a time so there is
          still plenty of space left inside. I will remove all the scrubbers
          over the weekend & clean them out & keep you informed as to how I
          went.
          Thanks for all the replies.
          Ken Grady
        • hexenwolfe
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...> wrote:

            > Gday all,
            > It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is
            basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the
            element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter
            packed with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating
            through an air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.
            > It has ran perfectly from the start about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg.
            The last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product
            surges quickly & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it
            has been up at a constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated
            thank you one & all.
            > Ken Grady

            Is your heating element cycling? Some electric units control
            temperature by turning on and off in a cyclic fashion. Just a
            thought....