Re: Your software

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
      wrote:
      > And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
      > well....<snip>

      It has been reported to the relevant ISP. The feedback is the owner
      will be contacted re cleaning up & securing their computer. This is
      why I do this reporting. The more people we make aware of personal
      computer security, the less garbage we here at the lists have to
      deal with. Everybody wins.

    • David Lunsford
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
        Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for viruses your
        anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or similar? Dave

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
          wrote:
          > Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for
          viruses your
          > anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or
          similar? Dave

          Dozens of 'em, Dave. Put this in google WITH the quotes "free virus
          scan"
          and you get 108,000 hits! It doesn't get any simpler than that.
          The problem is people who are so complacent about security. That's
          one of the reasons the free world is now in such a pickle ('nuff
          said on that).

          The thing I don't like about online scans is they are time and
          bandwidth consuming. Far better to have reliable virus software and
          regular definition file updates on board your own machine.

          My alltime favourite virus buster is AVG from Grisoft. Free
          download. Heuristic analysis for new viruses. Free daily updates
          everytime you go online (user adjustable), and every bit as good or
          better than Trend Micro & Panda. McAfee is good but slow to update
          it's database. Symantec is a resource hog, slows down your machine.

          If anybody wants links to any of these reliable programs, do the
          google search I mentioned. They're all on the first page of results.

          I've been in the I.T. trade for quite a few years now, and most of
          my work these days is resurrecting machines that people have let go
          to the dogs. Their loss, my gain. But they do eventually learn
          through the hip pocket nerve. :-)

          Here's a 'heads-up'. The time is rapidly approaching when all
          damages and costs incurred due to email viruses WILL be payable by
          the owner/admin of the machine. That puts the onus of
          accountability and security back on the user, and could run into
          many thousands of dollars for a SINGLE INSTANCE. You heard it here
          first, folks. And you've seen how easy it is to trace a machine.

          HTH