Surging maybe?

  • Ken Grady
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
      Gday all,
      It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter packed with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating through an air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.
      It has ran perfectly from the start about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg. The last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product surges quickly & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it has been up at a constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you one & all.
      Ken Grady

    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004

        Gday all,
        It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is
        basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the
        element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter packed
        with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating through an
        air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.

        It has run perfectly from the start, about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg. The
        last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product surges quickly
        & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it has been up at a
        constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you one & all.
        Ken Grady

        Gday Ken, certainly sounds like a surging problem to me. Common reasons for
        flooding are usually a blocked column, overfilled boiler or too much heat
        applied to the wash. Pull the scrubbers out and stick them in the
        dishwasher, then repack the column making sure you can blow freely through
        the column afterwards. My boiler has a tap at the base that I use to empty
        it at the end of the run. Whenever I get some flooding I just drain a couple
        of litres into a METAL (glass may break with the heat) container. You don't
        mention how many watts your electric element is producing, although from
        what you have stated 96% from a 24" tall column would mean you have a
        relatively slow vapour speed, hence an element around the 1200 watts is what
        I would expect. A 21/2" column can handle 2400 watts @240V easily without
        flooding.

        Let us know how it goes.

        Yours in spirit

        Robert

      • Don Rickles
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
          Longer colum perhaps? Mine is almost 4 ft between the keg and the head and no roblems here.
          It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter packed with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating through an air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.
          It has ran perfectly from the start about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg. The last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product surges quickly & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it has been up at a constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you one & all.
          Ken Grady

        • kalag02
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
            Gday Ken, certainly sounds like a surging problem to me. Common
            reasons for
            > flooding are usually a blocked column, overfilled boiler or too
            much heat
            > applied to the wash. Pull the scrubbers out and stick them in the
            > dishwasher, then repack the column making sure you can blow freely
            through
            > the column afterwards. My boiler has a tap at the base that I use
            to empty
            > it at the end of the run. Whenever I get some flooding I just drain
            a couple
            > of litres into a METAL (glass may break with the heat) container.
            You don't
            > mention how many watts your electric element is producing, although
            from
            > what you have stated 96% from a 24" tall column would mean you have
            > relatively slow vapour speed, hence an element around the 1200
            watts is what
            > I would expect. A 21/2" column can handle 2400 watts @240V easily
            without

            flooding.

            Let us know how it goes.

            Yours in spirit

            Robert

            Gday Robert,
            Good to hear from you again, the element is 2.4kw, the boiler has a
            tap in it also but I usually only run 25lts at a time so there is
            still plenty of space left inside. I will remove all the scrubbers
            over the weekend & clean them out & keep you informed as to how I
            went.
            Thanks for all the replies.
            Ken Grady
          • hexenwolfe
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4 3:12 PM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Grady" <kengrady@d...> wrote:

              > Gday all,
              > It would appear my still is surging for some unknown reason. It is
              basically a pot still approx. 50lts, electric with no regulator on the
              element, it's all stainless steel with a 2ft column 2 1/2 in diameter
              packed with ss pot scrubbers. I have a 20lt water resevior circulating
              through an air conditioning condensor/radiator with fan.
              > It has ran perfectly from the start about 10 runs all at 78.4 deg.
              The last 6 runs the temp. has fluctuated, mostly up & the product
              surges quickly & the %age is down to about 65%, where previously it
              has been up at a constant 96%. Any advise would be greatly appreciated
              thank you one & all.
              > Ken Grady

              Is your heating element cycling? Some electric units control
              temperature by turning on and off in a cyclic fashion. Just a
              thought....