liquor stills in the usa

  • cheeperdrunk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      i have never seen so many liquor stills for sale in the usa at e-bay
      new & used. i think they are useing theim for fuel????
    • DON LEEDOM
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
        HOW ODD, I DON'T FIND ANY

        cheeperdrunk <cheeperdrunk@...> wrote:i have never seen so many liquor stills for sale in the usa at e-bay
        new & used. i think they are useing theim for fuel????

      • Scott Petrinec
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
          What keyword do you use in your search on ebay?

          DON LEEDOM <dergrumble@...> wrote:HOW ODD, I DON'T FIND ANY

          cheeperdrunk <cheeperdrunk@...> wrote:i have never seen so many liquor stills for sale in the usa at e-bay
          new & used. i think they are useing theim for fuel????

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • jimpuchai
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
            Better to let this one go through to the wicket keeper.

            I would hazard a guess that this is intended to be an oblique way to
            advertise on the lists.

            Of course I am often wrong. Sometimes spectacularly.

            Jim P.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Petrinec <crazycro2@y...>
            wrote:
            > What keyword do you use in your search on ebay?
            >
            > cheeperdrunk <cheeperdr>unk@y...> wrote:i have never seen so many
            liquor stills for sale in the usa at e-bay
            > new & used. i think they are useing theim for fuel????

          • woof117
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2004
              I took crystal clear distilled sugar wash 170 proof. Cut it to 80
              proof with crystal clear water and the finished product came out
              cloudy to the point where I can't see through the bottle. Tastes
              OK but what the hell went wrong?

              Service.

            • Austin Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2004
                You really need to use distilled water for your cut. Something in your water precipitated out or reacted with the ethanol.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2004
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "woof117" <woof117@y...> wrote:
                  > I took crystal clear distilled sugar wash 170 proof. Cut it to 80
                  > proof with crystal clear water and the finished product came out
                  > cloudy to the point where I can't see through the bottle. Tastes
                  > OK but what the hell went wrong?

                  There are two sources of cloudiness when you cut clear high-proof
                  alcohol. It's either mineral (mostly calcium) in the water, or
                  Fatty Acids in the alcohol.

                  There's a simple test you can do to determine the source. Take some
                  of your uncut 170 proof and refrigerate it. If it goes hazy, you
                  have Fatty Acids. If it stays clear, then your cutting water is
                  responsible, and you should use a distilled water.

                  Haze is very common in whiskies and spirits not distilled to high
                  purity. It's Fatty Acids, one of the congeners which is the group
                  of elements in the Whisky that give the actual flavor to it. They
                  include aldehydes, esters, fatty acids, oils and phenols. Congeners
                  are also partly (besides a shortage of water) responsible for
                  hangovers.

                  In higher ABV's (like your 170 proof), the spirit is able to keep
                  these Fatty Acids dissolved (remember spirit is a good solvent). But
                  if the spirit is diluted with water, or chilled, these Fatty Acids
                  will clump together, making it 'cloudy' and 'hazy'.

                  To prevent this from happening companies chill the Whisky to about
                  2degC, and then filter it to remove the Fatty Acids.

                  People more into Single Malt Whisky prefer un-chill filtered
                  Whiskies, as they believe certain characteristics are being filtered
                  away with the fatty acids.

                  FWIW, my homebrew whisky has a slight haze which I prefer to leave
                  in, as I've tried it filtered and it lacks body. But that's just my
                  preference.

                  HTH