Re: Thermocouple monitor

  • jimpuchai
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kiwi2002001" <chrissa_am@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi all, I am after a software program had can monitor about 10
      > thermocouples that are attached to my still column(future project).
      > would really like to see what is happening in the column. Anyone
      out
      > there can help?
      >
      > Regards Chris
      Can't help with the program Chris but i can offer a word on the
      thermocouples.

      Thermocouples have been the work-horse thermometer element for
      industry for many years,
      Advantages : Wide range, low cost, fast response.

      Disadvantages : Accuracy - fair only, calibration sometimes
      required, bead can be adversely affected by some temperature/chemical
      combinations.

      Modern industry is well into a move toward platinum film elements.
      (PT100 and PT1000 are common)
      Advantages : High accuracy, comparable cost to thermocouples, fairly
      fast response, high repeatability, calibration not required, Ceramic
      encapsulations are tough.
      Disadvantages : Glass encapsulations fragile, range more limited than
      thermocouple, electronics more expensive.

      These are just some of the more salient points as a rough comparison.
      I have found thermocouples to be not accurate enough to give useful
      information in this hobby. The common probe type thermistor
      thermometer that displays to 1/10 degree C, is more stable and
      accurate than any thermocouple I have tried.

      A Google will turn up a few PC cards that contain 5 to ten channels
      for PT100 platinum sensors. It seems likely that some software is
      also recommended for the cards.

      Have fun,

      Jim P.
    • bradr36
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
        hey Cris

        > Hi all, I am after a software program had can monitor about 10
        thermocouples that are attached to my still column(future project).
        > I would really like to see what is happening in the column. Anyone
        out there can help?

        Chris i am currently investigating same, there are a few options i'll
        keep you posted. Look at past replies about PID's it looks like Johan
        has or is working on software that will do what you want.

        > Thermocouples have been the work-horse thermometer element for
        industry for many years,
        > Disadvantages : Accuracy - fair only, calibration sometimes
        required, bead can be adversely affected by some temperature/chemical
        combinations.
        i agree with you here Jim i seen this in my field can be a real pain

        > Modern industry is well into a move toward platinum film elements.
        (PT100 and PT1000 are common)
        thanks Jim will investigate

        >The common probe type thermistor thermometer that displays to 1/10
        degree C, is more stable and accurate than any thermocouple I have
        tried.
        i think what Jim is saying is that if you have a still that is well
        designed all you should need is a accurate thermometer

        some of us here are fooling with this stuff just to play with
        differant ideas to keep the mind going, main interest is not just to
        make good product especially if you have one already (keeps us
        interested in hobby)i don't even run that much product just like to
        design and redesign
        as Jim said have fun
        and of course keep us posted

        Thanks Jim,

        Brad
      • emailbenja
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
          using thermocouples is good but how can you afford to use 10????
          If you are in OZ (and maybe NZ), check out RS online, or Farnell
          Components. Farnell is probably the best for range and price, but i
          still think it will take quite a while to see the cost benefits of
          installing multiple electronic sensors, even though they will give a
          great amount of info about what is happening in your still. As an
          electrical engineer, i think it is the best way to go if you want a
          controlled quality output (i know most wont agree), and there are
          products out there that will let you monitor over 100 in/out puts at
          one time (just in case you want to expand!!)
          Let me know your source, i am currently designing a new hightec still
          for the new milllenium.

          Cheers
          Benja