RE: [Distillers] Re: Your software

  • Toni Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
      well....there are viruses around that put miscellaneous text such as
      this in the email and scavenge valid email accounts and send from them

      Toni Smith
      ICQ 166838134
      MSN tonimarie29@...

      Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
      know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
      periodically invades the group. R.

      ---
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
        wrote:
        > And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
        > well....<snip>

        It has been reported to the relevant ISP. The feedback is the owner
        will be contacted re cleaning up & securing their computer. This is
        why I do this reporting. The more people we make aware of personal
        computer security, the less garbage we here at the lists have to
        deal with. Everybody wins.

      • David Lunsford
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
          Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for viruses your
          anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or similar? Dave

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
            wrote:
            > Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for
            viruses your
            > anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or
            similar? Dave

            Dozens of 'em, Dave. Put this in google WITH the quotes "free virus
            scan"
            and you get 108,000 hits! It doesn't get any simpler than that.
            The problem is people who are so complacent about security. That's
            one of the reasons the free world is now in such a pickle ('nuff
            said on that).

            The thing I don't like about online scans is they are time and
            bandwidth consuming. Far better to have reliable virus software and
            regular definition file updates on board your own machine.

            My alltime favourite virus buster is AVG from Grisoft. Free
            download. Heuristic analysis for new viruses. Free daily updates
            everytime you go online (user adjustable), and every bit as good or
            better than Trend Micro & Panda. McAfee is good but slow to update
            it's database. Symantec is a resource hog, slows down your machine.

            If anybody wants links to any of these reliable programs, do the
            google search I mentioned. They're all on the first page of results.

            I've been in the I.T. trade for quite a few years now, and most of
            my work these days is resurrecting machines that people have let go
            to the dogs. Their loss, my gain. But they do eventually learn
            through the hip pocket nerve. :-)

            Here's a 'heads-up'. The time is rapidly approaching when all
            damages and costs incurred due to email viruses WILL be payable by
            the owner/admin of the machine. That puts the onus of
            accountability and security back on the user, and could run into
            many thousands of dollars for a SINGLE INSTANCE. You heard it here
            first, folks. And you've seen how easy it is to trace a machine.

            HTH