Re: Your software

  • ranah2o
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
      know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
      periodically invades the group. R.
    • Toni Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
        well....there are viruses around that put miscellaneous text such as
        this in the email and scavenge valid email accounts and send from them

        Toni Smith
        ICQ 166838134
        MSN tonimarie29@...

        Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
        know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
        periodically invades the group. R.

        ---
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
          wrote:
          > And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
          > well....<snip>

          It has been reported to the relevant ISP. The feedback is the owner
          will be contacted re cleaning up & securing their computer. This is
          why I do this reporting. The more people we make aware of personal
          computer security, the less garbage we here at the lists have to
          deal with. Everybody wins.

        • David Lunsford
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
            Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for viruses your
            anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or similar? Dave

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
              wrote:
              > Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for
              viruses your
              > anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or
              similar? Dave

              Dozens of 'em, Dave. Put this in google WITH the quotes "free virus
              scan"
              and you get 108,000 hits! It doesn't get any simpler than that.
              The problem is people who are so complacent about security. That's
              one of the reasons the free world is now in such a pickle ('nuff
              said on that).

              The thing I don't like about online scans is they are time and
              bandwidth consuming. Far better to have reliable virus software and
              regular definition file updates on board your own machine.

              My alltime favourite virus buster is AVG from Grisoft. Free
              download. Heuristic analysis for new viruses. Free daily updates
              everytime you go online (user adjustable), and every bit as good or
              better than Trend Micro & Panda. McAfee is good but slow to update
              it's database. Symantec is a resource hog, slows down your machine.

              If anybody wants links to any of these reliable programs, do the
              google search I mentioned. They're all on the first page of results.

              I've been in the I.T. trade for quite a few years now, and most of
              my work these days is resurrecting machines that people have let go
              to the dogs. Their loss, my gain. But they do eventually learn
              through the hip pocket nerve. :-)

              Here's a 'heads-up'. The time is rapidly approaching when all
              damages and costs incurred due to email viruses WILL be payable by
              the owner/admin of the machine. That puts the onus of
              accountability and security back on the user, and could run into
              many thousands of dollars for a SINGLE INSTANCE. You heard it here
              first, folks. And you've seen how easy it is to trace a machine.

              HTH