Re: [Distillers] Re: Your software

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      Cute Tony but, Yahoo doesn't allow no freakin' attachments.
      Waht was it.????????
      At 05:38 AM 01/04/2004, Tony.Ackland@... wrote:
      >Please have a look at the attached file.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Derek Hamlet
      Victoria, B.C.
    • ranah2o
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
        know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
        periodically invades the group. R.
      • Toni Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
          And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
          well....there are viruses around that put miscellaneous text such as
          this in the email and scavenge valid email accounts and send from them

          Toni Smith
          ICQ 166838134
          MSN tonimarie29@...

          Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
          know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
          periodically invades the group. R.

          ---
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
            wrote:
            > And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
            > well....<snip>

            It has been reported to the relevant ISP. The feedback is the owner
            will be contacted re cleaning up & securing their computer. This is
            why I do this reporting. The more people we make aware of personal
            computer security, the less garbage we here at the lists have to
            deal with. Everybody wins.

          • David Lunsford
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
              Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for viruses your
              anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or similar? Dave

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
                wrote:
                > Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for
                viruses your
                > anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or
                similar? Dave

                Dozens of 'em, Dave. Put this in google WITH the quotes "free virus
                scan"
                and you get 108,000 hits! It doesn't get any simpler than that.
                The problem is people who are so complacent about security. That's
                one of the reasons the free world is now in such a pickle ('nuff
                said on that).

                The thing I don't like about online scans is they are time and
                bandwidth consuming. Far better to have reliable virus software and
                regular definition file updates on board your own machine.

                My alltime favourite virus buster is AVG from Grisoft. Free
                download. Heuristic analysis for new viruses. Free daily updates
                everytime you go online (user adjustable), and every bit as good or
                better than Trend Micro & Panda. McAfee is good but slow to update
                it's database. Symantec is a resource hog, slows down your machine.

                If anybody wants links to any of these reliable programs, do the
                google search I mentioned. They're all on the first page of results.

                I've been in the I.T. trade for quite a few years now, and most of
                my work these days is resurrecting machines that people have let go
                to the dogs. Their loss, my gain. But they do eventually learn
                through the hip pocket nerve. :-)

                Here's a 'heads-up'. The time is rapidly approaching when all
                damages and costs incurred due to email viruses WILL be payable by
                the owner/admin of the machine. That puts the onus of
                accountability and security back on the user, and could run into
                many thousands of dollars for a SINGLE INSTANCE. You heard it here
                first, folks. And you've seen how easy it is to trace a machine.

                HTH