Re: Your software

  • Tony.Ackland@comalco.riotinto.com.au
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      Please have a look at the attached file.

    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        Cute Tony but, Yahoo doesn't allow no freakin' attachments.
        Waht was it.????????
        At 05:38 AM 01/04/2004, Tony.Ackland@... wrote:
        >Please have a look at the attached file.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Derek Hamlet
        Victoria, B.C.
      • ranah2o
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
          Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
          know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
          periodically invades the group. R.
        • Toni Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
            And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
            well....there are viruses around that put miscellaneous text such as
            this in the email and scavenge valid email accounts and send from them

            Toni Smith
            ICQ 166838134
            MSN tonimarie29@...

            Derek, I think if you will recognize that e-mail address you will
            know that that it is not originating from Tony, but the same one that
            periodically invades the group. R.

            ---
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
              wrote:
              > And looking at the text in it it was a virus that was attached as
              > well....<snip>

              It has been reported to the relevant ISP. The feedback is the owner
              will be contacted re cleaning up & securing their computer. This is
              why I do this reporting. The more people we make aware of personal
              computer security, the less garbage we here at the lists have to
              deal with. Everybody wins.

            • David Lunsford
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
                Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for viruses your
                anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or similar? Dave

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, David Lunsford <maxtonnage@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > Harry, isn't there a website that will scan your computer for
                  viruses your
                  > anti virus software didn't detect? like housecalls.com, or
                  similar? Dave

                  Dozens of 'em, Dave. Put this in google WITH the quotes "free virus
                  scan"
                  and you get 108,000 hits! It doesn't get any simpler than that.
                  The problem is people who are so complacent about security. That's
                  one of the reasons the free world is now in such a pickle ('nuff
                  said on that).

                  The thing I don't like about online scans is they are time and
                  bandwidth consuming. Far better to have reliable virus software and
                  regular definition file updates on board your own machine.

                  My alltime favourite virus buster is AVG from Grisoft. Free
                  download. Heuristic analysis for new viruses. Free daily updates
                  everytime you go online (user adjustable), and every bit as good or
                  better than Trend Micro & Panda. McAfee is good but slow to update
                  it's database. Symantec is a resource hog, slows down your machine.

                  If anybody wants links to any of these reliable programs, do the
                  google search I mentioned. They're all on the first page of results.

                  I've been in the I.T. trade for quite a few years now, and most of
                  my work these days is resurrecting machines that people have let go
                  to the dogs. Their loss, my gain. But they do eventually learn
                  through the hip pocket nerve. :-)

                  Here's a 'heads-up'. The time is rapidly approaching when all
                  damages and costs incurred due to email viruses WILL be payable by
                  the owner/admin of the machine. That puts the onus of
                  accountability and security back on the user, and could run into
                  many thousands of dollars for a SINGLE INSTANCE. You heard it here
                  first, folks. And you've seen how easy it is to trace a machine.

                  HTH