Re: New to group - question about using brass in distilling

  • CornFed (Randy)
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      certain brass compounds (not all) contain a small lead content.
      Having brass in the distillation process steam is relatively safe as
      metalic salts wont distill out at the temperatures that ethanol is in
      vapor form. However you are talking about making tinctures which
      will have brass in close contact with the brass. Lead content (if
      present) could -possibly- contaminate your finished product. Ethanol
      is an excellant parts cleaning solvent.

      The brass fitting can be cleaned by following the process on this
      webpage: http://www.brewinfo.com/mybrewery97/mybrewery3.html

      Hope this helps

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kenoflife" <tcmguy@m...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I just got the name of this group from a colleague, another Chinese
      herbal doctor like
      > myself. I hope you can help me out with a question.
      >
      > I just bought a nice large and thick 5-7-gallon glass jar made in
      Italy from Costco that I
      > was hoping to use for making alcohol extracts of Chinese herbs.
      This involves using a
      > large amount of herbs with complex chemical components, and soaking
      them for periods
      > of weeks to months -
      > possibly even longer if fresh alcohol and herbs are added to the
      mix already underway.
      > The type of alcohol I'm using is still to be determined - a kind of
      Chinese rice ('yellow')
      > wine, or perhaps a brandy. I have the info I need to get started
      with this.

      > The jar has a smallish brass spigot attached to the lower part of
      one side -about 6 inches
      > up - it looks simple and clean, The bottle is very attractive
      (hexagonal sides and bell-
      > shaped top) and inexpensive ($19) -
      > so it would be great to use a few of them to make tinctures.....but
      the brass?

      > I assume that the stopper is sealed with a thin washer of plastic.
      Is there a problem with